Steels...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hello! Steels for conditioning the edge/sharpening (whatever it actually is doing) a knife - necessary? I keep knives sharp by revisiting the ceramic stones ones in a while. Is a steel really needed?

As you use your knife, the edge will roll over. Hitting it on a steel will reset the edge. It isn't so much sharpening as returning the edge back where it needs to be. When I'm doing a lot of cutting, I keep a steel handy and hit the knife on it when I feel some resistance.

The steel basically moves the "curved edge" of the knife back to sort of straight. It doesn't sharpen or remove steel as the ceramic will.

As you use your knife, the edge will roll over. Hitting it on a steel will reset the edge. It isn't so much sharpening as returning the edge back where it needs to be. When I'm doing a lot of cutting, I keep a steel handy and hit the knife on it when I feel some resistance.
This is what I was taught way, way back when I learned to cut meat. By straightening the edge, it gives the impression that it sharpens the knife. I always keep one handy...

Reactions: chopsaw
Me too . Used mine today , but it's has a lot of use on it . Might be time for a new one .
Same, use it all the time. Like my knives super sharp.

I was thinking “these must wear out?” our steel must be 15+ years old and doesnt seem to have the same feel, feels too smooth on a blade. Still gets the job done but..

Reactions: chopsaw
Same, use it all the time. Like my knives super sharp.

I was thinking “these must wear out?” our steel must be 15+ years old and doesnt seem to have the same feel, feels too smooth on a blade. Still gets the job done but..
Yes they will wear out. When the surface gets smooth, time to replace it...

Reactions: sandyut and chopsaw
Yeah , mines 30 plus years old . It's time . It does still help , but not like it used to.
Now that I think about it , I still have the steel , but the knives from that set are long gone .

Alton brown has a great episode on knives , sharpeners and steels .

I use this Dexter Russell 1258B 12"...
1706661294638.png

I watched this video today, and now I am wondering how truly useful it is?? I watch the Bearded Butchers all the time and if they use one, then they have to be useful, but in my hands??? Not sure.

Yes they will wear out. When the surface gets smooth, time to replace it...

Yeah , mines 30 plus years old . It's time . It does still help , but not like it used to.
Now that I think about it , I still have the steel , but the knives from that set are long gone .

Alton brown has a great episode on knives , sharpeners and steels .
Shopping opportunity! I think we are all in need of new ones…

Have 2 or 3... have wondered about if they are worn out as well.
Enablers... :emoji_blush:

Ryan

I use the steel that came with my Wusthof's every couple of times I grab a knife. Aside from the pairing knife being used for things it wasn't meant for(ahem...Amazon boxes), I rarely need to hit a sharpener.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky