whats your favorite wood for pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man I hate to complicate your question by adding another colour but I prefer the Black Oak that I get for free growing high up on the Mountain. We get a pickup load whenever we hunt Mule deer along the USA/Canadian border country each fall. It seems to be a little stronger with a slightly better taste than the White. Having said that I have never tried red oak although I had one growing in my front yard at my old house. The City planted hundreds of English Oak along the river canal and some other streets in town and I am hoping to beg for some next fall when they prune.

For Pork I like apple, cherry, plum, apricot, grape, any of the fruit woodsI got 25 lbs of pecan which I like but have run out of it now.

For beef I like Hickory with a touch of mesquite.

Last edited:
For my GOSM, cherry.

For my Stickburner, whatever is seasoned enough to burn (cherry, and Hickory)

if i could only choose ONE wood to smoke with it would have to be pecan. that being said i like apple, hickory and cherry.

I use pecan and oak mostly in my Chargriller they are the most available free wood in my area. I use the pecan dust in my MES for sausage and  hickory for most everything else in the MES. Just starting to experiment with apple, cherry, maple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky