What would happen if I did...???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Folks,

I don't know where to post this. (I guess it could be considered fodder for the folks who would like a "What to do with leftovers" section here at SMF.)

Yesterday, I smoked 4 butts for several upcoming meals, for which I have been asked to provide BBQ Pulled Pork. I will smoke 4 more on Tuesday or Wednesday for the same occasions. I processed the pork and put 2.5 pounds into foodsaver bags, to be frozen and then reheated on the day of the events. I found that I had about 12 ounces of pulled pork left after filling the last bag. It went into the fridge.

I took a page out of Richtee's book and saved some of the liquid that accumulates in the foil in plastic containers. (I usually just throw it in the pan with the pulled pork - that goodness is not ever wasted.) It sat in the fridge overnight and the fat solidified at the top.

ppcorncakes_07_26_08_003.jpg

I took the fat out of the container, melted it in a small sauce pan, added flour to make a roux. The rest of the container was filled with gelatinized liquid gold. I let Chef Mike have it for about 20 seconds and then added it to the roux, along with about a cup of water. A little stirring along with some salt and pepper, resulted in an unbelievable sauce. It was smoky, had all the goodnesss of my spice rub, the applejuice/captain morgan spray essence, and the great taste of pork all wrapped up in a light brown glow.

I made some corn pancakes with some leftover corn on the cob. The pulled pork took it's place on top of the corn pancakes.

ppcorncakes_07_26_08_004.jpg

Sauce added!

ppcorncakes_07_26_08_005.jpg

The food jury at the Meowey house insists that this be repeated. This is a great example of how to use leftovers. I used leftover pulled pork, corn on the cob, and pork stock. This goes on my list of favorite ways to use pulled pork.

Any comments, or questions? Will post the corn pancake recipe at the bottom of this post.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Corn Pancakes
Makes about 12 pancakes.

Ingredients

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2-cup all-purpose flour
1-tablespoon sugar
2-teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1/4-teaspoon salt
1-cup fresh corn kernels including the pulp scraped from the cobs (cut from about 2 ears of corn)
2 large eggs
3/4-cup milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus additional, melted, for brushing the griddle

Preparation

In a bowl whisk together the cornmeal, the flour, the sugar, the baking powder, and the salt. In a food processor, purÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]e coarse the corn, the eggs, the milk, and 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Add the egg mixture to the cornmeal mixture, and stir the batter until it is just combined. Let the batter stand, covered, for 10 minutes.

Heat a griddle over moderate heat until it is hot and brush it lightly with some of the additional melted butter. Working in batches, pour the batter onto the griddle by 1/4-cup measures and cook the pancakes for 1 minute on each side, or until they are golden, transferring them as they are cooked to a heated platter and brushing the griddle with some of the additional melted butter as necessary.

Wooowhee! The liquid gold can be spent in SOOO many ways :{)

Man I 'member my G'ma <The Hungarian side> making those- I had forgot all about the corn pancake. Thank you for the reminder and recipe!

Yanno, I just remembered G'ma called 'em "fritters" I think. Sweet and a bit of black pepper, with a pat of butter on each. mmm I'm HUNGRY!

No..they were a pancake type thing just like Meowey had. Fried up in a pan. Also had potato pancakes too.. she called 'em fritters as well. Definition thing I guess.

That "gelatinized liquid gold" is great for seasoning greens,beans,and especially adding to rice and pulled pork for an excellent "per-low"

I smoked my first butt last night and threw out the (as i now know to call it) "liquid gold".

I wasn't sure what to do with it.

So you say that you are adding it back into the pulled pork after its pulled? Wish I would have thought of that. Making the sauce is a great idea. What other ideas am i missing?

I won't make that mistake again.
icon_sad.gif

Arrggghhh... It's the pure goodness of all the rub, mop and meat rolled into one! Now... I have made a gravy and used butter for the roux...dunno why I never just saved some of the fat on top for this?

Keep on reading, man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky