What to do with a goose.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
One of the boys brought out a couple geese that they raise and asked me to smoke them. Ok I figure why not. I have never had goose other than ground jerky sticks. So I am at a bit of a lose as to what to do. Has anyone done a goose in a smoker? any tips or ideas out there you guys are willing to share? I am not sure whether to brine, spatchcock, or do whole? looked up a few recipes and ideas. Working nights right now so I am thinking of doing 1 for each crew and would love any input that could help me. Thx ahead of time as it will be nap time soon.

Sorry Charlie no can help, but I will be watching. One of my coworkers also raises geese or has access to someone who does.

Chris

Is this a tame goose or a Canadian goose. In any even I would proceed just like doing a turkey domestic or wild. I have done many wild Canadian geese and some wild turkeys as well as domestic turkeys.

Warren

Just a simple brown sugar cure and smoke with a fruit wood, then chill and slice for samis or crackers, cheese & mustard! I have had several this way :-)

Also just as Halfsmoked said can be done the same as turkeys.....Turkeys in a brown sugar cure and smoked are also YUM!

In my experience, the main difference between a wild (large) bird and a dark bird is that generally only the breast is enjoyable on them. If you want to use the other parts for various processed products, then so be it. Considering that it's your first time, I'd smoke the whole thing as described as above, but mayne not be surprised if the non breast portions are not satisactory.

Yep, it ain't nothing special, just another bird.

Spatchcock that sucker, inject with brine or marinade, lay a rack over a tray full of aromatic veggies and/herbs and smoke as you would a turkey or chicken.

Exactly.

It's just another bird.

Treat it the same way you'd treat the gander.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. And vice versa.

Reactions: Jonok
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky