What spices to buy, wife is going on a road trip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyt

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 6, 2007
I am making a list of bulk spices for rubs and sauce etc. we don't get by a Penzey's very often I have onion and garlic powder, paprika, Course ground black pepper and corned beef spice. What else am I missing or what would you folks recommend.

Corned beef spice?
I figure that means pickling spice?
You should add whole black peppercorns, great for brines and for grinding fresh.
Paprika is a good one but if you are able try to get your hands on Hungarian or Spanish, they make such a difference compared to plain old regular paprika that is more for color than anything.
I keep a big container of white pepper on hand because I LOVE the flavor it lends compared to black, which is good but white pepper has a wonderful flavor.
Black pepper corns are actually unripe berries that are cooked and dried, white is fully ripe and soaked peppercorns that have the skin removed.

I also do a lot of pastrami so I like to keep a good sized container of coriander on hand and always some chipotle powder because that even makes everything better
biggrin.gif

I like Penzy's half cut paprika, it gives things a bite. They have juniper berries if you are doing pastrami. Their Chinese ginger is pretty good also. I use a lot of Cumin in my chili.

I buy as many things as I can whole and throw them in my Magic Bullet to use them.

Indeed, and many people get the wrong impression about white pepper thinking that it's all heat and no flavor...I think fine ground black pepper is much hotter than white.

If I find where I can buy more whole chilis, peppers and such locally, that will be my route as well...nothing beats freshly ground or cracked...NOTHING...you can use less because it hasn't gotten stale from being ground and sittong in a bottle for 6 months or a year.

Next time I get some Jalepenos, I have to remember to dry a few pounds for powdering on demand...

Eric

You should (IMHO) include 'Pure' Chiles like Ancho, New Mexico/Anahiem,Passillo and Mulato for flavors and Chilpolte and Cheyenne for heat. Paprika is always a staple , so have fun and try some of your imagination. Also keep whole Cunino,Black Pepper, and anyother whole spices you can get(that you use of course) as they last longer and grinding them after toasting increases the oils and flavor of them...
good road trip and
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka OldSchool

Paprika was half sharp, added juniper berries and coriander, keep the ideas comming.
biggrin.gif

This is not brilllant, but what about sea salt?

The Tuscan Sunset, Mural of Flavor, Turkish Seasoning, Satay Seasoning & Greek Seasoning are a few of my Favs. I like the India Extra Bold when buying Peppercorns.

I would have to go alone with most of them here. Paprika if you can find them spanish and hungarian then some juniper berries and then cumin and coliander seeds and then what ever else I could think of while I'm wondering the isles.

Didn't think of that one, sea salt would be great if you can get a deal on it.

If by any chance they have Greek oregano it is good stuff, not really meant for long cooks but added towards the end of cooking it gives a wonderful bold oregano flavor.

Lemon pepper -Jerk Chicken and Fish Seasoning - Rocky Mountain Seasoning sounds really good - saffron (love saffron!) - wasabi - adobo seasoning - ancho & chipotle chili peppers - those should cover a lot of bases.
- there's so much to choose from!

What is saffron, send me a pound so I can see what it tastes like.
icon_wink.gif

Their smoked paprika is very good,mustard seeds are fresh and spicy,but definitelt get some of their Vietnamese cinnamon or cassia - sweet and hot - tastes like cinnamon "red hots"candy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky