Mi Casa Chorizo Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philpom

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 16, 2023
Texas
Chorizo blend from my book of recipes

What you'll need:

2 pounds of ground pork (I like using butt)
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
2 1/2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs cumin
1 heaping Tbs dried oregano (less if finely ground)
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp each of salt and black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Method:

With the ground pork in a large bowl add all remaining ingredients to the bowl scattering the herbs and spice across the meat evenly. Mix, knead, fold, flip, repeat many times until everything is well incorporated. Then do it a little more. Place in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight before use for best results.

Notes:

I use oregano we grow in the garden and dry at home so it may not be as finely ground as what you might buy at the store. You may need less but on the other hand garden fresh dried is probably more potent than store bought so maybe you need more :)

Cheers

I've been looking for one similar to this. The recipe I have is merely a list of ingredients from the bag of seasoning. I remember nutmeg as an unusual ingredient and searched the web for a recipe that included the nutmeg. No luck.
Yours also has cinnamon which is not on my list and I have mustard which is not on your recipe. I think this is getting me closer.
Thanks for sharing !!

Reactions: philpom
Thanks for the formula .
Is salt typically low in Chorizo ? I have an AC Leggs pre mix that's seems to need salt in the final product . Never wants to bind either .
I always figured the mix was low on salt , but maybe that's how it's supposed to be ?

Thanks for the formula .

Is salt typically low in Chorizo ? I have an AC Leggs pre mix that's seems to need salt in the final product . Never wants to bind either .
I always figured the mix was low on salt , but maybe that's how it's supposed to be ?
I honestly think it's personal preference, if I pick up a cheap version from the grocery store it's more salty but when I buy it from the super mercado meat counter not so much. I'd say though overall it's definitely not a salty sausage.

What you'll need:

1/4 cup white vinegar
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
2 1/2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs cumin
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Method:

With the ground pork in a large bowl add all remaining ingredients to the bowl scattering the herbs and spice across the meat evenly. Mix, knead, fold, flip, repeat many times until everything is well incorporated. Then do it a little more. Place in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight before use for best results.

Notes:

I use oregano we grow in the garden and dry at home so it may not be as finely ground as what you might buy at the store. You may need less but on the other hand garden fresh dried is probably more potent than store bought so maybe you need more :)

Cheers
TY FOR SHARING!

Great recipe.
For Mexican dishes we prefer using Mexican oregano over the Mediterranean varieties. Wife scoffed at my use at first until she realized there is a difference
Oh yeah, there is actually a pretty big difference. Ever use italian oregano? Want to try some and want to see if the reviews are indeed legit.

Made chorizo 2x and 2nd time I used NM Red chili powder in place of the the paprika/cayenne (different recipe) and was BLOWN away at the improvement.

Thanks for the formula .

I think there is merit that it is deliberately lower salt since it's not commonly eaten straight up and more or less a flavoring ingredient. You start adding say cheese and or salsa and it's too much. Made some queso with some and found it on the salty side and think a lower sodium version woulda been perfect. I also think a 50/50 mix of GB/pork might have been better too.

Reactions: philpom
I think there is merit that it is deliberately lower salt since it's not commonly eaten straight up
Yeah . Supposed to break down . I was linking it up . You can see how crumbly it looks . Sliced and on a tortilla with the raw veg and some sour cream is pretty good .
20200303_191506.jpg
I've started adding more of the mix than stated , and leaving it in bulk . Makes great taco meat . Just mixed up 3 pounds , but I'll be trying this formula when I make more .

What you'll need:

1/4 cup white vinegar
2 TBS vegetable oil
2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
2 1/2 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs cumin
2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Method:

Notes:

I use oregano we grow in the garden and dry at home, so it may not be as finely ground as what you might buy at the store. You may need less, but on the other hand, garden-fresh dried is probably more potent than store-bought, so maybe you need more :) - especially when considering the unique ingredients in the Toca Life World APK.

Cheers
I had bean dish several times, but I'm not sure what it's called. It's beans in a reddish-brown sauce, sometimes served with chorizo. The sauce wasn't sweet, like you get with baked beans here in the states, it was more savory. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about??

I had bean dish several times, but I'm not sure what it's called. It's beans in a reddish-brown sauce, sometimes served with chorizo. The sauce wasn't sweet, like you get with baked beans here in the states, it was more savory. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about??
Kinda just sounds like charro beans, so.etimes called Mexican beans or Chilli beans. My preferred way to have a bowl of beans. Not a fan of the sweet stuff.

Great recipe.
For Mexican dishes we prefer using Mexican oregano over the Mediterranean varieties. Wife scoffed at my use at first until she realized there is a difference
Same here. And my mom being Mexican she would splash some tequila in there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky