What pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

velvetant

Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
Reno, Nevada
New to smoking, been using my Rec Tec 680 for a little over a month.
I've been using cookinpellets perfect mix and I dont care for it. Not sure what it is but something in it I don't like. I have used the Rec Tec mix that was sent with the smoker and it seems good.
Started using lumberjack pellets. I like the sweet wood mix, good flavor but subtle. The 100% apple, mesquite, pecan, maple and alder seem good . Been trying my own mixes.
I also use the Amazn smoker tube to try different flavors.
Curious what everyone is using.

I think you're the first person that I've ever heard that didn't like Perfect Mix :) Have you tried their 100% hickory? It's very nice. But I usually just run Lumberjack hickory with a little cherry mixed in. A-Maze-N pellets are fine if you're just running an AMNPS or tube, but way too expensive if you run a pellet grill.

Reactions: forktender
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I have read it's pretty hard to over smoke with a pellet grill.
I think you're right about me being the only one that doesn't like them from all the good reviews I've read about the perfect pellets.
So far lumberjack pellets are doing better for me.
This weekend I'm trying spare ribs with the 3-2-1 method

I have a CharGriller Pellet Grill and I cant find pellets that burn evenly or produce any smoke flavor. Ive used Lumberjack and Traeger brand pellets with a smoke tube and the smoke flavor isnt there. I dont like to hear negative things about the rec tec 680 cause that was gonna possibly be my upgrade. Any advice on the best pellet grill and best pellets would be awesome. Thanks and happy Q!!
Lucas

Absolutely no problem with my Rec Tec 680, I love the grill. Just not happy with the Cookinpellets flavor.
My Lumberjack mesquite smoked hambugers are by far the best burgers I have ever cooked.
I've also done meatloaf and pulled pork with the various Lumberjack pellets and enjoyed them very much.

I would recommend the Rec Tec without hesitation

I have a CharGriller Pellet Grill and I cant find pellets that burn evenly or produce any smoke flavor. Ive used Lumberjack and Traeger brand pellets with a smoke tube and the smoke flavor isnt there. I dont like to hear negative things about the rec tec 680 cause that was gonna possibly be my upgrade. Any advice on the best pellet grill and best pellets would be awesome. Thanks and happy Q!!
Lucas

My experience with several different pellet grills is that they all produce approximately the same amount of smoke flavor. If you're not getting enough smoke with your current pellet grill plus a smoke tube, I doubt a different pellet grill will solve that problem. Fact is, different folks like different levels of smoke and some are never satisfied with the lower levels that pellet grills provide, while others think the level is perfect.

Lucas

What Lumberjack pellets are you using in the smoke tube?

I use Lumber Jack pellets myself. I have read good things about BBQ Delight pellets but have not tried them yet

I have used several brands in two different grill/smokers. First I used a chargriller grill/smoker. No matter what pellet was used, it always was lackluster on smoke production, however, the best was cookinpellets 100% hickory. With that said, after I bought my RecTec, I had no problem with smoke production. Using the same cookinpellets, I got a totally different smoke profile. I just finished up a bag of hickory cookinpellets, and am going to try the pitboss brand. I got the competition blend. I hope these do well since you can get them at Walmart, and they are half the price of all the others. I have heard good things about them but until next weekend, I will not have any input on them. Just stay away from the brands with "flavored" wood.

I have used several brands in two different grill/smokers. First I used a chargriller grill/smoker. No matter what pellet was used, it always was lackluster on smoke production, however, the best was cookinpellets 100% hickory. With that said, after I bought my RecTec, I had no problem with smoke production. Using the same cookinpellets, I got a totally different smoke profile. I just finished up a bag of hickory cookinpellets, and am going to try the pitboss brand. I got the competition blend. I hope these do well since you can get them at Walmart, and they are half the price of all the others. I have heard good things about them but until next weekend, I will not have any input on them. Just stay away from the brands with "flavored" wood.

So hated your Chargriller pellet grill as well? Im interested in a GMG.

I didn't hate my chargriller. It still helped me produce some of the best food I have ever made up until I got my RecTec. I also have a Louisiana Grill at hand too. ( My brother in law lives next door and just got it). The PID on the rectec, and the extreme smoke button really puts the icing on the cake for smoke production out of a pellet smoker. Add in a tube of your favorite pellets and I don't see how anyone would need more smoke. Just look at the smoke on this butt I did last week. Nice and pink with a great bark on it as well! Half Shredded Butt 10.22.2017.jpg

Man that looks awesome, I just need a sammich now, and I agree once you get a Good built pellet smoker you don't have to worry about not having enough smoke. I have a smoker Brother's that I love.

>Just look at the smoke on this butt I did last week.

That butt looks great. But just to be clear, the smoke ring has nothing to do with smoke - it comes from other combustion gasses. You can have great smoke ring and zero smoke flavor, and have great smoke flavor and zero smoke ring.

When you burn wood, it creates a gas known as nitrogen dioxide. The gas dissolves on the wet surface of the meat, binding with the myoglobin, and preventing it from becoming that dreaded brown metmyoglobin. The smoke locks in that prized pink color.
The pink smoke ring occurs only on the outside edge of the meat because the nitrogen gas absorbs from the outside in. Typical smoke rings will be 1/8 to 1/2 inch deep. Want to achieve that 1/2 inch ring? The key is moisture. The dissolved gas can’t go very far into the meat if the surface is bone dry.

Reactions: jmtyndall
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky