What Do You Guys and Gals Think Of MSG?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recently there was a 'science' show on Discovery channel where they fed a group of people in a restaurant food with and with out MSG. Then afterwards they said half had had MSG and half had not. Several swore they could tell they had been fed  MSG but every one was in the half without MSG.

GeneK

The only MSG related trend I've noticed is when I rub it on my pork butts for pulled pork.

When I use Jeff's rub or something similar, I get the usual positive feedback, but nothing overly enthusiastic. But when I use "Memphis Red Hot & Blue" restaurant rub, (which has MSG) people rave about the final product. There is a noticable difference in how much they are enjoying it. They go back for second and third helpings until it's gone! It's this difference that made me go back and look at the ingredients. That's when I found out it had MSG.

I guess a pinch of it to enhance flavors can't be all that bad, but I don't think it is required.

As a side note.....  If you are concerned about MSG..... From the article below....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

Free glutamate content of foods (mg per 100g)

roquefort cheese 1280
parmesan cheese 1200
soy sauce 1090
walnuts 658
fresh tomato juice 260
grape juice 258
peas 200
mushrooms 180
broccoli 176
tomatoes 140
mushrooms 140
oysters 137
corn 130
potatoes 102
chicken 44
mackerel 36
beef 33
eggs 23
human milk 22

For more on the MSG debate visit: www.truthinlabeling.org,www.msgmyth.comwww.msgtruth.org  or www.food.gov.uk.

Last edited:
I try to use naturally occurring "umami", such as anchovy paste, but I don't really make a conscious effort to avoid it. There is no question (in my mind anyway) that msg, whether naturally occurring or in it's refined form does something magical to foods.  I'll also say that I have suffered some pretty nasty migraines after eating at one particular Chinese restaurant, and think I've narrowed it down to their hot and sour soup. (it's a buffet, and I've been known to have 2 or 3 bowls of this soup. It's really freaking good) I think like most things, moderation is the key. Those that swear it's never allowed in your kitchen, you better look again. It's in almost everything we eat in one form or another.

Last edited:
I am not concerned. No one in our family is allergic, so I do occasionally use it in soups and chili. Just gives things a little extra "oomph!"

Never thought about using it in rub before. That may be my next experiment.

I am not afraid of MSG.  I pay close attention to "studies", the language used in their conclusions and who paid for the research.  I like empirical scientific proof & you just don't seem to get it in most studies.  You see a lot of words like might/may, could, suggests & other ones like that.  As someone else said in a reply moderation is important.  Any substance natural or created in the right amount is deadly.  Do I use it in my cooking?  Not much.

Reactions: vortreker
Hahahahhahhaa thats mean...I like it!!!

Craig

Just and FYI for this here old thread.. I believe that it is legal for the manufacturer to list "Spices" on the ingredient label, and that could indeed contain MSG.  There are a lot of labeling tricks that are used to hide the fact that products contain MSG.  Bottom line is, if you are truly concerned, make it at home yourself with your own pure ingredients so you know what's in it.

This'll open your eyes:  http://www.truthinlabeling.org/II.WhereIsMSG.html

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky