Weekend Picnic Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
It’s been a while since I posted and I had a picnic shoulder begging to be smoked so, here we go...

After doing picnics before, not knowing what to do with the skin, I scored this one before putting on my own home concoction of rub and let it rest Friday night until Saturday morning.

2B5D35D0-F61C-4446-B117-7406C785CF0F.jpeg

6D98E930-6296-4157-BCFE-E93C580C926D.jpeg

Fired up WSM at 6:30 Saturday morning and by 7:00 the meat was on with some hickory and apple chunks.

After going through 3 loads of charcoal (Kingsford), the meat was ready around 5:30 that evening, in time for more college football. I pulled it off at 203 IT. Sorry no complete final shot as the meat literally was falling apart as I went to take it off the smoker. With some tongs, I was able to get it in a bowl to bring inside. The bone slid out as I was placing it in the bowl.
57492B4A-20BA-411E-ADEA-A656C8E4A97C.jpeg

And this is it more pulled...
ED226DA2-5FF6-4F59-9745-9BF8D6E123F4.jpeg

My wife couldn’t stop eating it as I was pulling it, saying this was one of the tastiest shoulders I’ve done. I think it was Al that suggested that I take a picnic a little higher than a butt to really get it tender, and it worked. I’ll be doing more picnics at around 203 instead of 195. Much easier to pull and more juicy!

PS. I gave the cooked skin to my dogs in small bits (still have a few small pieces left for treats) and they love them.

you should crisp the skin on a sheet pan in the oven (get it chicharone style) CRISPY! crumble it and mix back into BBQ in little bits... ;) not heart healthy

Looks really good. Will have to give your method a try.

If I recall I only took my last picnic to the mid 180s. Will go for the low 200s next time. Also craving some pulled pork as its been about 3 months since I have had any.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky