water on reverse flow plate?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmoore

Original poster
May 29, 2012
Midland, Ont, Canada
Built my own smoker with a 50 gallon oil drum. I recently found this site and am now trying to improve what I have before I start my next build. Just wondering if it makes sense to use the revers flow plate as the water evaporator. I have a side mount fire box and the barrel is horizontal.

Welcome and yes.

It is common to use the reverse flow plate as a water pan.  A couple of hints:

Have a slight tilt on the water pan away from the firebox. (maybe a 1/2" tilt over the length of the cook chamber.)  Then, put a drain pipe at the bottom end of the water pan that exits the bottom of the smoker.  Put a ball valve on the end of that. It makes draing the water and fat/grease out after your smoke a lot easier.  Weld everything up water tight and then check it for leaks.  Look around in the reverse flow forum, you will find many examples of this....

boom

boomhower,
welcome1.gif
to SMF, if you would stop by roll call and introduce yourself and let us know were you are from. It will allow everyone to welcome you to the club too... Remember
worthless.gif
....we love pictures.......ShoneyBoy

I can put water in the reverse flow plate but have never found the need to.

I filled out roll call. If I can get the reverse plate to sit relatively flat against the smoking chamber would I be able to avoid welding it in place? Anyone done this? I use my q as a charcoal grill a lot so a removable reverse plate would be great.

If you put that smoker on a trailer and don't weld that plate in, the first big bump or chuckhole is going to cause the plate to pop loose.  Yeah, I know it's a PIA to tackle them long welds and not end up with a warped pan.  Just go at it a bit at a time-six inches here, six inches there and before ya know it you got that plate welded place, Hit the welds with a grinder wheel and you'll have some fine looking welds.  Or you can just hit that plate with some tack welds and hope they hold.

I have a idea to hold it in place with the apparatus o use to move the charcoal up and down. When I figure out how to post pics to this forum I will explain what I have in mind

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky