Very novice but obsessed new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cc16

Original poster
Aug 30, 2017
Roanoke Va, USA
I live in Roanoke Virginia.  I've been smoking less than 6 months and thus far only on my (free to me, cheap to buy) Master Forge water smoker my future father-in-law gave me.  So my equipment is very simple and unrefined.  I've mostly been doing wings and some pork loin.  I did a few venison pieces back in April that turned out great considering my skill level and quality of smoker.  I recently was given a old model Brinkmann Smoke-N-Pit.  It was given to me by a friend who's father passed away last year.  His mother wanted it off of their deck and he didn't want it.  I've been reading on it and understand it will need some modifications to be of good working order.  Fortunately I've already made a few trips to the hardware store to get some things.  I will be making the baffle and tuning plates for it as well.  Next door to my employer is a metal fabrication shop who will gladly cut the pieces as necessary.  I'm going to fire it up tonight for the first time and try to get a feel for cooking with charcoal and wood logs while managing temperature.  There will be a few dry runs as I get it dialed in and trust the readings.  I have visions of many a cool October/November Saturday being spent outside smoking and watching college football and hockey.  With a little beer added for good measure.  I look forward to reading on here and learning new stuff.  I play a lot of golf and my fiance isn't quite so excited about my new "another 6 hour hobby every weekend" venture.  I'm sure she will enjoy the results though!  If anyone knows of a good thread for Smoke-N-Pit mods please point me that direction.  I've searched and it seems there are plenty of them.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some "official" post about it.  Thanks for having me.

Welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of guys on here with your smoker, feel free to ask any questions.

I'm sure they will have the answers your looking for.

Al

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a real nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.

Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky