Vertical Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbinfla

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Who all makes the vertical type pellet smokers? I'm looking for a new one and have seen the PitBoss, Louisiana Grills, Camp Chef, Pellet Pro, am I missing any? I'm needing to pull the trigger here soon since my gasser died and just want to see if I'm missing anything? Really looking for a vertical type pellet smoker and of all the ones I've seen I either am worried because of reliability concerns or I love it and it's out of stock :) Go figure. My current grill plus current vertical smoker fit just fine on my patio so I'm really trying to avoid the grill type smokers and stick with a vertical (plus the ability to do a ton of ribs a few times a year when I have a larger get together at the house, you know, like before COVID). Any additional units to look at is appreciated. Thanks.

- Joe

Pit boss and Louisiana grills are owed by the same company. So they are the same except minor differences. I have the Louisiana I like it . It is the same as the pit boss 7 series. The only difference is the Louisiana has two latchs vs one on the pit boss. It tolds a ton of meat.

Smoke Daddy makes a vertical. Sold out at the moment. Pretty large capacity. Not insulated, but double walled. Walls are 18ga steel.

I was searching for the vertical smoker on Google and then viewed an article named best vertical smoker 2021. Now I am confused about which one should I choose, can anyone help me in choosing the best vertical smoker? Need suggestions from experts.
Thanks

Very open ended question ... will need to be asking ‘best’ given your constraints/preferences ...
Budget?
Fuel type?
Size needed?
Cooks anticipated?
Etc

BTW, those kinds of reviews are just click bait revenue generators.
Far more real info on user sites like this (And others)

Reactions: Fueling Around
That list didn't seem very good at all. Just a bunch of low-end smokers. If you're willing to go with wood or charcoal, there's Lone Star Grillz, Deep South, Assassin, etc - but you better have a few thousand in the budget. You can make good BBQ on the low-end gear, but there are some serious downsides like really thin metal or lack of accurate controls.

Unfortunately there ain't a whole lot in the mid-range ($800-1500) level. Backwoods makes a couple reverse-flow charcoal smokers in that range. Smoke Daddy makes the only sizable vertical pellet smoker in that range that I know of, and Cookshack that Inscrutiable mentioned is the only high-end vertical pellet smoker unless you get into the commercial $10,000+ smokers.

I have a Pit Boss Copperhead Series 5, and like the Series 7 it can hold a lot and is a decent smoker for the price. The new Pit Boss Brunswick seems to be an improvement on the Pit Boss verticals and lists for about $450 on Walmart's website.

Thanks for the list I've got some searching to do. I like the pit boss from $ and apparent features. I live in Florida so insulated isn't much of a concern for me as far as cold weather. The brunswick is the one I would buy today if I could, but it's out of stock on Walmart.com :( and I can't find it anywhere else. I do like the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro, it seems to be what I would like but it's about tripple the price of the Pit Boss'es and Brunswick.

Thanks again

I will say that I trust the controller on the Smoke Daddy vertical a lot more than the Pit Boss controllers. If it's in your budget, I believe you would be quite happy with it for a long time.

The only reason I am not planning to get one is that I'm budgeting for a Lone Star Grillz 42" pellet grill. It's about double the price of the Smoke Daddy after shipping costs and add-ons but is built like a tank and then some. I still might consider the Smoke Daddy vertical if someone on here has any experience with them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky