Venison Thuringer w/jalapenos summer sausage-Smoker to Sous vide finish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
My annual venison summer sausage, started with 7 pounds of venison and 3 pounds of pork butt. Added 1 cup of powdered buttermilk for tang and a 10 oz jar of chopped jalapenos. Mix and cure from PS seasoning.
Capture.PNG
1.PNG

I stuffed into 61mm fibrous casing that had been soaked in lukewarm water for 1/2 hour, secured with hog rings.
2.PNG

Placed in the smoker for 2 hours at 115* with dampers wide open ,added hickory chips and smoked at 140*for 3 hours.
3.PNG
5.PNG

I then vac sealed each stick and put in the sous vide container at 140* for 4.5 hours. I went by Baldwins chart plus an hour or so.
4.PNG

Let them cool in my cold cellar and then hit the refrigerator for the night. I cut and vac sealed this AM for treats to give out at Xmas. Thanks for looking ! CM
6.PNG
7.PNG

They look awesome! Maybe gonna have to try adding the powdered buttermilk to mine also...just seems to be missing a little bit of something

Ryan

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great from here! I like jalapeños but never tried to add to sausage. Must do it next to see what I am missing.
CD, I stole the idea from Joe aka Boyko, using Mt.Olive chopped jajapenos 10-12ounces per 10#.

very nice,,,,, my buddy just brought me 80lbs of elk and 30 or so of antelope for snack sticks,,,, I do the work and buy the seasonings and I keep 1/2,,,, not a bad deal

Our procedures are very similar, right down to using a Party Stacker. I generally use zipper bags, and I use sous vide balls in lieu of a lid.

Questions: Do the pickled jalapenos stay true to flavor, or does some of the 'pickled' flavor dissipate? We recently bought a jar of "Tamed" jalapeno peppers that are milder than usual, so I'm thinking I can use more so the peppers are more visible.

When you are through cooking to temp, do you transfer the vacuum bags into an ice bath? And is condensation in the vac bag an issue?

Questions: Do the pickled jalapenos stay true to flavor, or does some of the 'pickled' flavor dissipate? We recently bought a jar of "Tamed" jalapeno peppers that are milder than usual, so I'm thinking I can use more so the peppers are more visible.

When you are through cooking to temp, do you transfer the vacuum bags into an ice bath? And is condensation in the vac bag an issue
TE, Using one jar of diced jalapenos gives slight heat to the sausage, you could definitely add more. I remove the sausage from the vac bags , wipe them down and hang in my cool cellar for a few hours before refrigerating. Sometimes I put them in snow for a bit but we had no snow ! :) Condensation isn't a problem as the sausage is removed immediately after the SV.

TE, Using one jar of diced jalapenos gives slight heat to the sausage, you could definitely add more. I remove the sausage from the vac bags , wipe them down and hang in my cool cellar for a few hours before refrigerating. Sometimes I put them in snow for a bit but we had no snow ! :) Condensation isn't a problem as the sausage is removed immediately after the SV.
With the pickled jalapenos, I like the idea of better consistency on the heat level verses fresh ones, which can vary wildly from batch to batch. And I like to see ingredients (cheese, mustard seeds, peppers or whatever) in the slices. These are the ones I was referring to and here is how Mezzetta describes them and using these maybe I could increase the amount without getting the heat too hot.

Our Sliced Tamed™ Jalapeños—a hybrid of a jalapeño and a bell pepper— provide all the flavor and texture of a regular jalapeño but with less heat.
nkJFYss.jpg
So you are removing the sausage from the vac bags... makes sense for this application especially with multiple sausages in the bath.

Here is my first experiment in using a SV finish. I could easily fit 3 sausages in separate zipper bags. Or maybe cook 2 per bag. Anyways, I cold smoked this stick of bologna, then over an hour or so I ramped up the bath temp from 125° to 155°, then held for 3 hours, then it went into an ice bath for 45 minutes. I was very pleased with the even level of doneness the SV provided.

xyfBzEK.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky