Venison Pastrami Smoke Day...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
I pulled out 4 roasts, bottom and top rounds. My cousin pulled out 4 roasts as well for me to cure and smoke. I put these to cure Last Friday, flipped them every day to equally distribute the cure.
IMG_20211022_184534436.jpg

I pulled them out last night, rinsed, dried, then wet the surface with brandy for the coriander/black pepper coating to stick. Put them on a grate over a sheet pan in the fridge overnight to dry the surface to accept smoke.
IMG_20211029_230652528.jpg

IMG_20211029_230705560.jpg

Got them in the smokehouse rolling cherry/hickory to them now. Gonna smoke low 125-130*F for 4 hours, then increase the heat to 160*F to finish @130*F INT.

Last edited:
Lookin good! I like to make Venison Fajitas out of my Venison top and especially bottom rounds. I may have to do some pastrami from them too someday when I start deer hunting again. Hopefully next year :)

That looks like it's gonna be good! Hunting season can't get here fast enough! Need more venison!

Ryan

Good looking stuff. Youth deer season kicks off here next weekend in Mississippi. My 13yo son usually keeps the freezer full for us. May have to try this out.
Jim

Looks amazing! Fantastic job. Time to get another deer to try this out.
Yep. We have 2 deer down so far this season for our big processing day, and I was given two wild hogs last night...75# and 110-115#...both young sows.

Nice looking stuff there. Did you dry cure or wet cure and the spice recipe you used, please. I might make some later this year from one.
dry cure. Here is the recipe:
https://honest-food.net/venison-pastrami-recipe/

I like a heavy rub on my pastrami. For the 8 roasts, I mixed up 2 cups coriander seed, 1 cup black peppercorns, and 1/8 cup whole mustard seed. ran that through my spice grinder...very coarse.

Wow! That looks crazy good! Great work!
Thanks!

Good looking stuff. Youth deer season kicks off here next weekend in Mississippi. My 13yo son usually keeps the freezer full for us. May have to try this out.
Jim
Thanks JLeonard....yes you do need to make it.

Looks killer, rub looks awesome
Thanks jcam222.

As usual that looks amazing
Thanks Jake.

That looks incredibly tasty Inda. Nice job for sure.
Thanks SE. Give it a go, it's really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: archeryrob
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky