Venison back strap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey zeddy and XP3 we don't flame people for asking questions at this site, we all love questions. If you can get temps. up to 225 degrees you shouldn't have any problems. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!!!! LOL
biggrin.gif

Have fun, experiment and don't forget to post pictures. We all love to lick are screens.....
tongue.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Reactions: jlawrence
Like Oneshot said, we don't and won't flame anyone here, especially new members. This is the best site to learn the art of smoking, and it really is an art. Ask all the questions you can, someone will always jump in and assist. With that said, you want to know if you can do this in your big chief? Well the big chief does a GREAT job at what it was designed for, smoking fish and making jerky. It was not made to do the high temp smokes. However, you can get the temps up on those. I have one and the very first smoke I ever did was a 12 pound Turkey, believe it or not. The big Chief is not insulated, AT ALL, which is one reason its not suited for serious smoking. However, you can wrap it in regualr household insulation starting about 4" above the door where the ash pan goes and right to the top. I secured it in place by wrapping some small wire around it. Then lay insulation across the top. I used 6" thick insulation. I've had mine hit 230 degrees before on a 15 degree Minnesota day, but remember, it was not designed for it. I would do this somewhere where there is NO risk of anything catching on fire if it the unit were to ignite. The cord on mine actually became very soft from the heat so just be careful. The hard thing about doing this, is maintaining a steady temp. If you wanted to do a backstrap, you would not have to go the higher temps as you would just dry it out, but lower, say around 180 and a few strips of bacon on it, you should do fine. In the furture, I would look for a smoker made for smoking but keep the Chief for jerky and even drying herbs. Check craigslist often, you would be surprised how often you find nearly new smokers for next to nothing. A good basic used electric, charcoal or propane smoker is a great starting point without spending a bunch of money. Hope that helps you a bit.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

They look great.

I have been wanting to try this for a while. I did a small pork loin and it cooked fast.

I generally like venison pretty plain. I usually make fillets and wrap them in bacon, but I am going to try to wrap it like a fatty. Great idea.

mmm...ive got a doe hanging right now. Smoked backstraps. I havent tried them yet. But will. I havent had a bad strap yet...at least one thats not overcooked.

HDsmoke,
I think you will enjoy it.I have never been much of eating venision,without it being made into summer sausage or jerky or what ever.But I think it just has to be cooked right.I really enjoyed that backstrap I made a couple weeks ago.I helped a friend skin and bone out a deer last night,he gave me one of the back straps from it so I will be making another one soon.
biggrin.gif

I realize this is kind of late, but do this sometime. This will not require smoking ,but instead high heat. Take a backstrap and remove the silver skin, then rub down with olive oil,kosher salt, and crushed black pepper. Let it sit while you get a sauce ready, made up of 1 c. chopped red onions, 1 c. port wine, 1/2 c red wine vinegar,and 1/2 c. white sugar. A little heavy cream at the end also works with it. Cook this down to a thick type of syrupy glaze. Now over hot coals or high grill temp sear the backstrap completely and remove when rare to medium rare. Serve right away. It will remind you of the very best filet mignon you've ever had, Guaranteed.

GetAttachment.aspx

pan seared w olive oil and Cajun spice. This is one cut of meat that doesnt need much to bring out its full potential

I know this is a bit late but oh well
I did up some back straps over xmas. I marinated them in well its called "the only marinade youll ever need"

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
4 strips of lemon zest
3 cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four ( i used a mix of all I used lots of all )
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

I put them all in a freezer bag and marinaded overnight.
wrapped in Bacon (maple) then smoked until 140 with cherry wood.

I have used that marinade on quite a few things and its fantastic

I found a simple recipe for (aged backstrap ) that is wonderful.
Season strap with sea salt and pepper and allow to come to room temp.
Bring a skillet up to med/high heat
Add oil to pan and quickly brown ALL sides.
Remove strap to a preheated smoker and add Cherry chunks
Smoke until internal temp reaches 140. I only add smoke for 30-45 minutes.
This is a quick smoke, only to finish out internal temp and add the smoke flavor.
Take strap out and let rest and cool. Slice thin and serve as a meal or with crackers and cheese.
Folks I served this to thought it was roast beef until I came clean with what they werw eating.

Having eaten some of Jerry's backstrap ( that didn't sound right) I would do exactly this !!! It was the best ever !!!!!!

well to late for helping ya out but from what i seen looks like you done mighty fine. i like mine a tick rarer but you looked as if they were mighty moist. good job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky