USDA Choice Chuck Roast Special--ideas/help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tender loins

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Buffalo, NY
First let me say thanks for this site and that I try to be as detailed as possible to help portray the specifics even though it may seem like a book or novel! Sorry for that!

Our local supermarket chain had a special on USDA Chuck Roast...

Buy a USDA Choice chuck roast, get FREE:

Bag of NY Bold Onions (small, about 2")

Bag of Russet small potatoes (3")

Bag of carrots

Pkg of brown & serve rolls

1.5 liter bottle of soda

Pepperidge Farms Layer Cake

This chain isn't cheap and uses bonus cards to get the deals but being overcharged without as well as with the card isn't appealing... but I never smoked a Chuckie yet. So I figured I'd bite on the deal which they normally charge about $17+ just for the freebies and bought the smallest chuck roast I could find to imaginarily make it look like I was getting a great deal!

I have had it in the fridge a couple days so should make it asap. I started prepairing it and did look at some other chuckies made here on the forum and still have some questions.

The smallest "roast" was ~3.8lbs and the grain looks nore like a porterhouse, rising vertically off the plate; it almost looks like it has the porterhouse tail as well as a loose piece between the curl & main body. Top & bottom are generally flat.

Is this typical of a "roast?"

This "Special" looks intended to be made with all the veggies in the same pot, ala pot roast.

Do I peel everything and put the taters, onions and carrots in a tin tray and put the roast on a grate and the tray below it to catch all the drippings on the veggies? (Sorry, I'm single with no kids, just a year old dog & don't make "roasts" that I can remember tho have made some packer briskets, only in the smoker.)

I have prepped it with soy sauce and a pepper medley, plus garlic powder, as well as inserted garlic spears all over the roast, almost a head of garlic cloves cut into halves, and injected the meat with a mix of soy sauce, garlic oil & tiny amount of liquid smoke. (I use soy sauce and garlic powder on almost every type of meat, even poultry, I have won over many relatives, neighbors & friends--it's especially a crowd pleaser on grilled pork chops.)

I put the meat onto a round tin plate and inserted it into a ZipLoc vacuum bag and sucked all the air out; I use a handheld Food Saver vacuum. The tin prevented the soy sauce from being sucked out with the air. It's been like this in the fridge for about 5 hours now, so the vacuum should have permeated the meat really well with the seasonings, plus I would add a meat rub when I put it in the smoker.

We are expecting high winds tomorrow & the day after, with rain, freezing rain, and later snow. I use an electric MES smoker on a porch that's partially open, there's actually some snow on it now, though it's 40 out and will be 35-40 tomorrow, snow & 32 the next day. I run an extension cord out thru the door and try to keep the plug out of the weather, behind a bench. The MES is insulated so it helps get to temps year round, but max is 275 on a good day.

Should I still try smoking it, or should I make it in the gas oven indoors? Looking at Jeff's newsletter from January 3rd, I believe it was smoked around 6 hours to around 200, then the chuckies were put into a tin tray and all the veggies added as well as Worcestershire sauce and beef broth or wine as well as his rub spices...

The tin gets foiled and then everything goes ANOTHER 5 hours at 350 in the indoor oven?

Does all this sound right? 10-11 hours?

If so, should I try to beat the weather and start it tonight at a lower temp than 225 and then check in the morning?

Partially smoke it tonight, refrigerate it, then either smoke again tomorrow or bake it in the oven the rest of the way?

Or just indoor oven?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's what I'd do. First, look up Chef JJ's smokey Au Jus. Then make that.

Then smoke your chuck roast at 225˚ until it hits about 160˚ internally with the Au jus in a pan underneath.

Then, take your roast and put it in a dutch oven with about a cup of the au jus and your veggies. I'd also skip the russet potatoes and go with red potatoes or Yukon golds, as the russets will fall apart after the long cook time. The waxier reds or yukons will hold up better. Put this, covered,  in a 275˚ oven until the roast is tender, probably a couple more hours. Then I'd strain and defat the juices and add back to the rest of the Au Jus, also defatted. Use this to make a gravy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky