Upper Choice Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
I know upper choice isnt a real USDA grade but has anyone used it or have any opinion. I can get a case of Upper Choice Brisket for $3.50/lb and wanted to know if it was worth it.

I guess knowing you aren’t getting a choice just graded above select is a plus.

Not sure if available in your area, but Costco has prime for just a bit more and you don't need to buy a case.

I noticed Prime brisket at my local Sam's over the weekend at $3.69 for whole packers that were actually reasonably trimmed too. I am going to try one soon.

I know upper choice isnt a real USDA grade but has anyone used it or have any opinion. I can get a case of Upper Choice Brisket for $3.50/lb and wanted to know if it was worth it.

I guess knowing you aren’t getting a choice just graded above select is a plus.

The short answer is, if you can get a case of "high choice" briskets, I would go for it. Better would be if you could sort through a couple of cases and build your own case. My Sam's Club lets me do this with Prime briskets because I'm looking for other characteristics. Here is the rest of the answer....

y44WfZQ.jpg

Well, when marketing beef in different programs there are sub-grades so to speak that use marbling to separate USDA Choice into three sub-grades, and USDA Prime into two sub-grades. Since not every producer goes the extra mile and participate in separating the sub-grades, it's up to the consumer to compare in the meat case. Below are some USDA Prime ribeye steaks I bought already packaged, straight from the meat case for a small contest, and while selecting I had about 6 or 8 packages to choose from. The marbling in the cap muscle on these steaks was way heavier than all the others, so it was easy for me to call these "moderately abundant". Now it can be argued that grading takes place in the loin, and not an individual brisket.... but if a steer is graded high choice it would make sense that the brisket could fall into the same sub-grade.

hfN4knX.jpg

The short answer is, if you can get a case of "high choice" briskets, I would go for it. Better would be if you could sort through a couple of cases and build your own case. My Sam's Club lets me do this with Prime briskets because I'm looking for other characteristics. Here is the rest of the answer....

y44WfZQ.jpg

Well, when marketing beef in different programs there are sub-grades so to speak that use marbling to separate USDA Choice into three sub-grades, and USDA Prime into two sub-grades. Since not every producer goes the extra mile and participate in separating the sub-grades, it's up to the consumer to compare in the meat case. Below are some USDA Prime ribeye steaks I bought already packaged, straight from the meat case for a small contest, and while selecting I had about 6 or 8 packages to choose from. The marbling in the cap muscle on these steaks was way heavier than all the others, so it was easy for me to call these "moderately abundant". Now it can be argued that grading takes place in the loin, and not an individual brisket.... but if a steer is graded high choice it would make sense that the brisket could fall into the same sub-grade.

hfN4knX.jpg
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Would like to at least try it to see if I can notice a difference.

I noticed Prime brisket at my local Sam's over the weekend at $3.69 for whole packers that were actually reasonably trimmed too. I am going to try one soon.
I can get them from Sam’s for the same price but they don’t always carry it. Guess I could always ask them to order a case for me.

I can get them from Sam’s for the same price but they don’t always carry it. Guess I could always ask them to order a case for me.
It depends on the meat manager. At my Sam's, they are willing to order Prime meats, but I'm not obligated to buy the entire case. So it never hurts to ask what their policy is. One tip if they will order in Prime brisket (or get it in from time to time..... ask them to make note of the "pack date" printed on the case and call you when the meat arrives. This way, you can basically ignore the "use by" date the store prints on the label, and you can wet age the brisket for a few weeks if you have a colder beer fridge.

I usually get them from Sam’s if I need one, but was trying out this wholesale company. They are currently out of prime (creek stone farms) was offered upper choice. My other option is SRF wagyu for ~$6.25/lb. I have to by a case though regardless of what I get.

I usually get them from Sam’s if I need one, but was trying out this wholesale company. They are currently out of prime (creek stone farms) was offered upper choice. My other option is SRF wagyu for ~$6.25/lb. I have to by a case though regardless of what I get.

Whoa, $6.25 for SRF? On their site the Black grade (which is higher than Prime) is around $12/pound. The Gold is higher.

Whoa, $6.25 for SRF? On their site the Black grade (which is higher than Prime) is around $12/pound. The Gold is higher.
Yeah, I this a good deal! I’ve gotten it before, and split with my friend that had the connection at the warehouse to save cost. It is great, just don’t know if I want to spend $500+ on meat right now. I can’t remember if it is black or gold. I thought they told me gold in the phone.

Last edited:
Well I didn’t go for the high choice brisket case. The SRF was gold for $6.15 but couldn’t convince my wife to spend ~$500 on a case, maybe my next bonus from work?? I ended up going with a case of baby backs 2 1/4lb down and already peeled (from duroc breed) and a case of high choice beef short ribs (123 plate) from St Helen (same company as SRF) expecting to pay about $450 for all that. Never done the beef short ribs but can’t wait and assume it is like any other beef. Smoke to probe tender. Guess I should be reading up in some techniques!

You have a great supplier with the SRF and Duroc products. Just a thought, but maybe you can get some cooking buddies interested and you can split up cases. And although our first thoughts are to smoke a brisket, there are a lot of oven brisket recipes that are fantastic.

Are the plate ribs the full ones, which would be NAMP 123A? These come in 3-bone and 4-bone racks with bones about 10" long. If they are cut on the lateral axis (across the bones) then they are short ribs, thinner slices are often called Korean style ribs. Plate ribs are like brisket on a stick, but take a long time to cook. And you only need one per person!

H0wVel4.jpg

af6oLmR.jpg

You have a great supplier with the SRF and Duroc products. Just a thought, but maybe you can get some cooking buddies interested and you can split up cases. And although our first thoughts are to smoke a brisket, there are a lot of oven brisket recipes that are fantastic.

Are the plate ribs the full ones, which would be NAMP 123A? These come in 3-bone and 4-bone racks with bones about 10" long. If they are cut on the lateral axis (across the bones) then they are short ribs, thinner slices are often called Korean style ribs. Plate ribs are like brisket on a stick, but take a long time to cook. And you only need one per person!

H0wVel4.jpg

af6oLmR.jpg
Yeah they are the NAMP 123A. Got 8 3bone racks in the case. Looking forward to smoking these. They came 2 racks per vac pac. Actually got all the meat a little cheaper than expected, which was good!
5F9807DF-215D-4BB2-9F1C-635F1F3E65E1.jpeg

I did ask a few friends if they wanted to split any of the gold wagyu, but they declined this time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky