Brisket came out so-so, what to do with 3lbs of cubed brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DemonPit

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Michigan
So against my better judgment (and after searching for 2 days and 10 stores) I bought a wallyworld brisket. Black printing on package, I'm assuming it's a select brisket. I knew I was in trouble after opening and trimming said brisket. So I went to smoke it as usual. The end result was sub-par compared to my 1st and prior brisket. No parameters were chamged, other that store (prior from kroger- choice, latter from wallyworld- select). I know 2 meats are never the same but.....

I cubed up (post cooking) about 3lbs of the flat/point. So what to do with it? I vac sealed it with a tablespoon of tallow, then into my freezer (-20). I have a jar of tallow in the freezer in case of needing it.

Texas style chili (no beans)
Normal chili (with beans)
Stew

I almost tossed it in the bin I was so displeased. I did manage to vac seal 3 dinners worth of the better parts of the point.

No pics, as it's deffinately NOT pic worthy!

Reactions: JLeonard
So against my better judgment (and after searching for 2 days and 10 stores) I bought a wallyworld brisket. Black printing on package, I'm assuming it's a select brisket. I knew I was in trouble after opening and trimming said brisket. So I went to smoke it as usual. The end result was sub-par compared to my 1st and prior brisket. No parameters were chamged, other that store (prior from kroger- choice, latter from wallyworld- select). I know 2 meats are never the same but.....

I cubed up (post cooking) about 3lbs of the flat/point. So what to do with it? I vac sealed it with a tablespoon of tallow, then into my freezer (-20). I have a jar of tallow in the freezer in case of needing it.

Texas style chili (no beans)
Normal chili (with beans)
Stew

I almost tossed it in the bin I was so displeased. I did manage to vac seal 3 dinners worth of the better parts of the point.

No pics, as it's deffinately NOT pic worthy!
I'm confused. cubes from the flat or the point? I've never cooked a full packer, so wouldn't know where/ how to separate the flat from the point. All I know is I've mde some bodacious awesome burnt ends from cubed point. Of course i rely on my cuban meat cutters to separate and sell point for $7.99 to do it.

At least 25% of the point and 90% of the flat I cubed up as it wasn't up to my picky standards. It started out as a packer brisket. I never seperate the point/flat, I smoke it as a whole.

I did just find an Angus packer at the store, but at 16.99/lb......sorry but NOPE! Thing was $105 and change.

At this point I think your better off with the chili or stew options. One question, how was it sub-par? Dry and crumbly, tough to chew or other?

Chris

Reactions: DemonPit
Not the best from the get go. It probed 205* all over, but not probe tender. I let it go to 210*, still no bueno. So I pulled it and let it rest for 2hrs. Upon slicing I knee it wasn't going to be awesome. It was good don't get me wrong. It just wasn't great. It came out kinda tough. Some parts were better than others. I saved the crappy parts for chili or a stew.

Reactions: JLeonard
Not the best from the get go. It probed 205* all over, but not probe tender. I let it go to 210*, still no bueno. So I pulled it and let it rest for 2hrs. Upon slicing I knee it wasn't going to be awesome. It was good don't get me wrong. It just wasn't great. It came out kinda tough. Some parts were better than others. I saved the crappy parts for chili or a stew.
Now this is just me, but I think even though you let it ride to 210* I would have let it go a little further until it probed tender. Worst case scenario you it would have been a little on the dry side and crumbly, but you would have had some great meat for a hash. One other thing: Are you sure your probes are accurate? If you get another brisket that follows the same path as this one. Wrap it with your favorite liquid and let it braise for a couple of hours.

Chris

black printing does = select.
blue = choice
red = prime

wally around here puts both choice and select in the bin

Beef stroganoff. Always will be my favorite for leftover smoked beef.

or

Chop it up fine and mix in a little sauce. Throw it in the oven or back onto the smoker for 45 minutes. BBQ sandwiches. Not the worst thing in the world!

I have a 6 probe Bluetooth/ wifi temp temp module. I pick the closet 2 by putting all 6 in a cup of hot water and seeing which 2 of the 6 are the closest to the actual temp.

I was worried about overcooking and it falling apart. Hindsight, I'd rather have cooked it longer.

Chili it is. I've never done Texas style, might as well run with it.

Reactions: gmc2003
I was going to suggest putting the cubs into a crockpot with some bbq sauce and letting them go until they fell apart. You would have great chopped/pulled beef at this point for amazing sandwiches, bbq nachos, etc.

It sounds like it was tough and chewy and if so I'm guessing it might have need longer. What I recommend will prove if so or not. Also if this works then you know how to improve what you vac sealed :D

So, a way to do great brisket on an electric smoker is to trim it as recommended, inject with double strength better than bullion, then smoke to a temperature of 140 to 150. (So you can get some bark on it.)
At this point, remove the extended flat and cube. Wrap the remaining flat, as well as the entire point tightly and double tinfoil, and cook to a temperature of approximately 185 to 190. Reserve the flat that was removed, and cook also covered for the same period of time, or either in a small tinfoil vessel with some more bullion if it’s available, or wrapped tightly. Hold both portions of the brisket at 145 to 160° for at least 12 hours after reaching temp., in either a PID controlled smoker or your oven. At the conclusion of the hold, remove the burnt ends, sauce, and burn lightly over charcoal. Doing this, you can make a select piece of garbage taste pretty darn good.

So, a way to do great brisket on an electric smoker is to trim it as recommended, inject with double strength better than bullion, then smoke to a temperature of 140 to 150. (So you can get some bark on it.)
At this point, remove the extended flat and cube. Wrap the remaining flat, as well as the entire point tightly and double tinfoil, and cook to a temperature of approximately 185 to 190. Reserve the flat that was removed, and cook also covered for the same period of time, or either in a small tinfoil vessel with some more bullion if it’s available, or wrapped tightly. Hold both portions of the brisket at 145 to 160° for at least 12 hours after reaching temp., in either a PID controlled smoker or your oven. At the conclusion of the hold, remove the burnt ends, sauce, and burn lightly over charcoal. Doing this, you can make a select piece of garbage taste pretty darn good.
Of course, separate the point and flat horizontally after the hold, and slice both at the 90° angle to the fibers of the pectoralis minor and major with an appropriate device to allow people to see that you know how to actually cook and carve a brisket.

This is a great chili I have done with brisket.

Chili
4.25 (1 liter) cups water
  • 6oz (170g) can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup (32g) chili powder
  • 1 tsp (4g) cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp (12g) garlic powder
  • 1.5 tsp (5g) cumin
  • 1/4 tsp (1g) ground allspice
  • 1/4 tsp (1g) ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp (3g) red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp (3g) sugar
  • 1 tbsp (14g) red wine vinegar
  • 1.5 lbs (680g) ground beef
  • 1 sweet onion, grated

A favorite around here is brisket meat pie on the Egg. Problem is there're rarely any leftovers.

I just reheated a family dinner portion (4 slices/point) tonight (hot water bath/SV). It was actually really good! Maybe just the flat came out horrible. I wanted more, but I only vac sealed 4 slices (2 for myself, and 1 each for my wife and son). Maybe it was the added tallow that helped. Regardless, I kinda want more now.

I just reheated a family dinner portion (4 slices/point) tonight (hot water bath/SV). It was actually really good! Maybe just the flat came out horrible. I wanted more, but I only vac sealed 4 slices (2 for myself, and 1 each for my wife and son). Maybe it was the added tallow that helped. Regardless, I kinda want more now.
Glad it came out well!

My guess is it was more cooked through while being reheated. Just being a few slices and reheated it can get way hotter faster and tender up and boom! Better :D It happens like that for real many times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky