Umai Soppressata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I’m in the process of building my curing chamber, but in the meantime I figured I would do a couple batches of dry sausages with the umai bags.
So the other day I boned out two shoulders. Kept the money muscles for Capicola and the rest for dry chorizo and Soppresata.
So here is my Soppresata. I used the umai seasoning bag plus I added fresh Calabrian chili peppers. I ordered them months ago from butcher-packer, and I’ve been using them in all sorts of stuff. It’s gotta be one of my favorite peppers.

9EB2FA4D-EB7F-46FA-8D7B-5F9F9D2F46B8.jpeg
AD519135-92EF-4EB5-B08B-74A50ACF32F1.jpeg
my pork and back fat all ready to be ground up. I have a Cabelas #32, but for small batches I really like using my kitchen aid stainless grinder and 5lb LEM mighty bite stuffer.

A6F657C6-F794-48BB-A869-DD812AA63831.jpeg
Meat ground, and back in freezer while I get everything ready to mix.
25AEF469-9AFF-4CDC-ADED-E229B5743D36.jpeg
My Calabrian chili’s...just so good!
98ECD857-32B8-449A-B7E1-D40311D02120.jpeg
Everything ready to be added.
5E4D9DEF-97FF-4411-8D50-F3A0595A6797.jpeg
Minced meat stayed good and cold, hurts the hands to mix. Just the way it’s supposed to be.
3E40AB5C-2A0F-4326-8F60-833B0AC0E055.jpeg
All seasoning added and ready for the starter culture. This batch was used with TSPX. I want to try the Taste of Italy culture next.
FABDEA5A-E96D-4E4A-B0AC-88D9248A01A2.jpeg
After mixing all the seasonings and starter culture, it starts to get very tacky and binds really well. Now to stuff and ferment for 72 hours. I will also weigh each chub in grams, and figure out my target (40% loss) weight of each chub.

0DDCB31A-8124-475A-B127-38CDC3886400.jpeg
12A9245C-8568-4FC8-BAA6-A8B5E957E2A3.jpeg
Notice the color day one. Actually more red than normal, but I’m guessing that’s the Calabrian chili’s.

9368E130-0935-47AF-B848-3E3B85113839.jpeg
All set up and ready for a three day ferment. Smell is already SO good.
AECF5C49-FD13-4587-A77D-02D920F115AD.jpeg
06B243AA-F3E7-4E8F-A6A0-458EC1F2CE40.jpeg
and here they are after three days. Much much more red. Just beautiful with a wonderful smell.
Now the wait begins!!
06B243AA-F3E7-4E8F-A6A0-458EC1F2CE40.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m in the process of building my curing chamber, but in the meantime I figured I would do a couple batches of dry sausages with the umai bags.
So the other day I boned out two shoulders. Kept the money muscles for Capicola and the rest for dry chorizo and Soppresata.
So here is my Soppresata. I used the umai seasoning bag plus I added fresh Calabrian chili peppers. I ordered them months ago from butcher-packer, and I’ve been using them in all sorts of stuff. It’s gotta be one of my favorite peppers.

View attachment 451593
View attachment 451594
my pork and back fat all ready to be ground up. I have a Cabelas #32, but for small batches I really like using my kitchen aid stainless grinder and 5lb LEM mighty bite stuffer.

View attachment 451595
Meat ground, and back in freezer while I get everything ready to mix.
View attachment 451596
My Calabrian chili’s...just so good!
View attachment 451597
Everything ready to be added.
View attachment 451598
Minced meat stayed good and cold, hurts the hands to mix. Just the way it’s supposed to be.
View attachment 451599
All seasoning added and ready for the starter culture. This batch was used with TSPX. I want to try the Taste of Italy culture next.
View attachment 451600
After mixing all the seasonings and starter culture, it starts to get very tacky and binds really well. Now to stuff and ferment for 72 hours. I will also weigh each chub in grams, and figure out my target (40% loss) weight of each chub.

View attachment 451601
View attachment 451602
Notice the color day one. Actually more red than normal, but I’m guessing that’s the Calabrian chili’s.

View attachment 451603
All set up and ready for a three day ferment. Smell is already SO good.
View attachment 451604
View attachment 451605
and here they are after three days. Much much more read. Just beautiful with a wonderful smell.
Now the wait begins!!View attachment 451605
They look great !!! Was thinking of doing the same recipe in 70mm UMAI bags. Is that Calabrian Pepper Paste you used packed in olive oil/vinegar and for (5) lbs. of pork, what is a good amount of paste to use as a starting point for noticeable heat ?
thanks

Reactions: 73saint
They look great !!! Was thinking of doing the same recipe in 70mm UMAI bags. Is that Calabrian Pepper Paste you used packed in olive oil/vinegar and for (5) lbs. of pork, what is a good amount of paste to use as a starting point for noticeable heat ?
thanks
Ritchie...thanks man! Ya, I wish I had bigger than the 50mm for the sopp, I even considered waiting on the project to order more bags, but that would’ve defeated the purpose lol. To answer your question, yes, it was the peppers packed in oil and vin. ; and I was worried someone might ask, but I’m afraid to say I just sort of eyeballed it. It was the last thing I added to the mince, and I hope It doesn’t make the sausage too salty. We shall see.

thanks
Ritchie, I just thought about something. I can easily go weigh out how much I used. I see the container I had it in, and I know i didn’t use any more than that. I simply spooned that amount over the meat in small amounts, but ended up using it all. So if you want to know how much I used, even though it wasn’t scientific at all, let me know and I’ll happy I’ll weigh it out.

Ritchie, I just thought about something. I can easily go weigh out how much I used. I see the container I had it in, and I know i didn’t use any more than that. I simply spooned that amount over the meat in small amounts, but ended up using it all. So if you want to know how much I used, even though it wasn’t scientific at all, let me know and I’ll happy I’ll weigh it out.
That would be great, if you have the time. ... I appreciate it !!

8F91CC87-67EB-40B2-B48F-B5EBA364C14C.jpeg
here ya go. Roughly 130g. isn’t that stuff amazing? I know it’s pricy but I’m ordering more. And some of the dry pepper. I’ve got a hot Coppa covered in it right now. What else do you put it in?

Very impressive, looks great! I'm intimidated by the process, maybe I can get around to expanding to curing eventually. Until then, I'll enjoy the pics!

Very impressive, looks great! I'm intimidated by the process, maybe I can get around to expanding to curing eventually. Until then, I'll enjoy the pics!
Umai will take the intimidation factor out. As long as you have a fridge, you can do umai. It has given me the basic foundational understanding while I study and research my curing chamber build. And the finished product is pretty wonderful.

Umai will take the intimidation factor out. As long as you have a fridge, you can do umai. It has given me the basic foundational understanding while I study and research my curing chamber build. And the finished product is pretty wonderful.
I'll have to give this a look, wasn't familiar before this thread...thanks!

That looks really good! I'm wanting to make some Soppresata and Dry Chorizo as well. Just for clairification, you used a total of 5 lbs. of pork mixed with the salt and soppresata blends?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky