Turkey- to brine or not to brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm new to the smoking process and to the forum, but I smoked my first turkey this past Thanksgiving. I brined it for about 3.5 days. I injected it with some of my homemade wine, and smoked it for 8 hours (it was a 14# bird). That thing turned out so wonderful. The skin was about like very thin leather. The inside was very moist and the flavor was, oh so good! I'm hooked on this smoking thing now. Fixing to start modifying my smoker to get it like some of the ones I've been reading about and seeing on this forum.

Brining will always be a must for me!

i use a modified brine from Alton  Brown.... i put it in a cooler with the frozen turkey and let it defrost slowly over 4 days adding ice as needed to keep the temp around 38 deg F. i cut the backbone out of it and place it over a drip pan filled with the brine so more brine flavor steams in as it smokes adding more as needed. . depending on the size it takes about 8-10hrs at 250F range. ..... some of the more experienced guys may or may not agree with this method but it works great and keeps it moist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky