Tumbled drums and thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SecondHandSmoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 30, 2018
SE Arizona
Last week, Mrs. SHS and I were unpacking some boxes that we had been neglecting for awhile
Lo and behold, I found the rotisserie basket my folks had given me some 25- 30 years ago.
I am unsure of how old this basket is. But, I certainly do remember it being used for BBQs during my childhood.
So I guess it could be classified as an antique. :emoji_laughing:
After a good soaking and scrubbing it looked good as new and ready for drums and thighs.

On Saturday afternoon, the drums and thighs were first rubbed with EVOO then rubbed with BGE Savory Pecan then rested covered in the fridge overnight.
I also trussed the thighs to help hold the skin on during the tumble.

Sunday
The set up: Rotisserie ring with basket using the kettle and the SnS. Resevoir was filled with water.
Mix of Kingsford briquettes and FOGO lump plus a few applewood chunks.
Maintained 250° for the first two hours or so. Then cranked up the temp to 325° for the finish.
No BBQ sauce on these, served on the side if wanted/needed
Tossed in three taters that were rubbed with EVOO and kosher salt then wrapped in foil.

Here's some quick pics.
20220327_130244.jpg

20220327_130309.jpg
20220327_130711.jpg
20220327_130659.jpg

20220327_133538.jpg
20220327_133601.jpg
20220327_134309.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Stu

Beautiful color man! Looks like most of the rub tumbled off though.:emoji_frowning2:

Thanks. Unfortunately, it did tumble off.
I even sprayed the basket with EVOO. However, I could still taste the rub since I did work some in under the skin too.

Color on that chicken is insane. Heck of a job bud

Thanks Jake. I love the results this kettle set up is giving.

I've never heard of such a thing! I wonder what else you could make with it.
It would be really cool over an open fire....

I'm thinking veggies, chili peppers, large prawns, and thick cut french fries at least with this one.
There are newer baskets made with a fine mesh.

That looks incredible!
I would think the wings would have fallen apart rolling around in the drum!
But I can see they didn’t, & they sure look good!
Nicely done!
Al

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That looks incredible!
I would think the wings would have fallen apart rolling around in the drum!
But I can see they didn’t, & they sure look good!
Nicely done!
Al

Al,
Thank you for the kind words and the like.
I noticed a very small amount meat "shavings" in the drip pan from tumbling.
But nothing too concerning.

Stu

Those look absolutely amazing!! Brilliant trussing the thighs like you did. They stayed together beautifully. Color on that chicken is off the charts!! I'd give abut anything for a big plateful of that. Excellent job.

Robert

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Those are AWESOME!

I saw that basket on the Weber page and was thinking??? now I know!!!!! Nice work!

Thanks! Yep, now you know. I bet that one would be a great addition for your new Genesis!

Wow Stu!!!
That's a Beautiful Mess of Vittles Right There!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

John, thank you very much! All of it was delicious including the side salad.
Mrs. SHS insists that I eat salad with every meal. That is her way of ensuring I don't exceed my protein limit.

Color is great, I can almost taste it. Never saw the basket I imagine veggies would work in there, maybe even some cubed up meat?

Thank you. I think the basket is older than me. It certainly is old school. Weber and other manufacturers use a finer mesh for their baskets these days.
Yes, I think veggies and large cubes of meat would work.
I might try cutting up a rack of BBs into individual ribs and giving that a whirl sometime in the future.

Those look absolutely amazing!! Brilliant trussing the thighs like you did. They stayed together beautifully. Color on that chicken is off the charts!! I'd give abut anything for a big plateful of that. Excellent job.

Robert

Thank you Robert. I was worried that the skin would slough off during the cook. I did lose one though...must not have cinched it down tight enough. When I took the lid off to check IT and saw that color I was like no way am I going sauce on these.

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky