True Peameal Bacon?

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by dirtworldmike, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hmmm, Thanks Mike,

I take it back--I was right.

According to your link, It can be brine cured & injected, or dry cured. Then after curing the loins are coated, sliced & fried, instead of smoking.

That is what I said in post #4.

Quote from that link:

The meat is then cured in a brine solution or by dry rub. After curing the loins are coated with yellow cornmeal, sliced and fried.

Bear

2. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thanks to Cowgirl, I now have a few loins brining away. In a week or so I'll have some tasty peameal bacon.

cowgirl likes this.
  3. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking forward to the outcome. Thanks and good luck! [​IMG][​IMG]

4. actualy it is the original canadian bacon, brined but not smoked and since it is not smoked they rolled it in pea meal to help prevent bacteria and spoilage as it aged. 

my great grampa and  grandpa used to make this all the time.  I don't know why they call it bacon because it is realy ham, but oh well. 

Steve

5. ak1

It isn't really ham. Ham is from the hind leg of a pig.

Here's a fairly good explanation on Wikipedia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

6. ak1

Thanks Jeanie, I'll probably be pulling them from the brine tomorrow evening.  I'm going to coat one with ground yellow peas & one with corn meal just to see what if any difference there is.

7. cowgirl

Great!! Can't wait to see how that goes....  [​IMG]  :)

8. ya should have been a little more clear on that one.. tastes like ham to me, as in cured pork all tastes hammy to me untill it is smoked.

Steve

9. ak1

Here they are out of the brine, and 2 rolled in pea meal. I didn't get pics of the two rolled in corn meal. What I did notice is that the corn meal is a brighter yellow than the pea[​IMG]  meal.[​IMG]

cowgirl likes this.
  10. cowgirl

Wow..They look excellent!  I need to make some more now lol

Thanks so much for letting me know .. I will definately give the pea meal a try too. [​IMG]

11.  They look great!

I hope you post a step by step on the process.  I got a loin in the freezer and it's next on my list after I get my beacon done.

12. ak1

Thanks Jeanie.

I screwed up, and stuck the stuff in the freezer rather than the fridge. I pulled 'em out today and put them in the fridge to thaw. I'll make sure to take some pics before & after slicing.

As for the pea meal, I just bought some dried yellow peas and ran them through my spice grinder to make a coarse meal.

13. ak1

Hi Mike, thanks.

Really, there isn't much to the process. I just followed Jeanie's recipe. Basically, brine the loin( I didn't inject, so I gave it a few more days in the brine), take it out of the brine, wipe it dry, and roll in meal. 

14.  I used to take my two boy's up to Rice Lake in Ontario fishing. First order of business when we got there was to stop and get some peameal bacon.Second order was to fry up and eat all the peameal bacon. Third order was to go buy more.LOL

I gotta get on this one as my boy's have been hounding me about it.

15. ak1

I know how you feel. My son is just inhaling the stuff. 

16. cowgirl

Thanks for the info...I will do that next time. Looks great![​IMG]

17. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Cowgirl if your still around I would sure like to have that recipe.  I'm trying one I got off the internet today, but won't know anything for a week or so on how it turns out.

Joe

18. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Might find the recipe on her blog......

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

19. striper

striper Meat Mopper

Thanks, I'll see what I can find there, looks to be quite a library of stuff to go through. 

Joe

20. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes it is..... BUT.... It's a cool library with lots of good stuff to read....