Tried Something New

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Tried Something New

Last week I had a craving for some pulled pork sammies, but didn’t have a butt in the freezer. What I did have, however, was 2 pounds of vac/sealed pulled pork from a previous smoke. So I pulled the bag out of the freezer and started thawing it.

Now I’ve always considered SoFlaQuer’s finishing sauce to be my go-to for pulled pork. This time around I decided to try something new.

I had been planning to try the Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce JJ ( chef jimmyj chef jimmyj ) had posted, so I whipped up a batch. The only changes I made was to skip the cayenne pepper-- I wanted Miss Linda to try it and give me her opinion—and double the brown sugar—I like it sweet and tangy.

Well, about all I can say about JJ’s sauce is WOW, IS THAT EVER GOOD!!!!!

The extra ingredients in JJ’s sauce added a whole new dimension to the taste. The Worcestershire is especially noticeable and really compliments the pork. Unfortunately, my taste buds are kinda jaded and worn out, so the small amount of Allspice, while vaguely there, sorta got lost in the shuffle. Next batch, I’ll try increasing that spice.

I did a side by side taste between the two sauces. SoFlaQuer’s, while still absolutely delicious, came in second. JJ’s sauce was the undisputed winner for both Miss Linda and me.

I took pulled pork sammies with JJ’s Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce to work every day for the rest of the week, and it was a sad day when the pork ran out.

If you’re looking for a downright delicious finishing sauce for your pulled pork, and haven’t tried it yet, I can absolutely recommend JJ’s sauce. It just became my go-to. Here’s the recipe:

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce by Chef Jimmy J

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2 T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4 C Brown Sugar

1 T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Ground Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding BrownSugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

So give it a try. I’m pretty sure you’ll agree—it’s great.

Gary

Wow! Thanks for your trying my sauce, I thought you.might like it, and sharing your opinion in a Review...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky