Tri Tip tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
My first tri tip
dry brine.jpg
dry brining in prep for tonight's meal.

in California Tri-tip is the go to cut, find them anywhere, just got some large untrimmed for 2.99/lb

Reverse sear in progress. IT temp at time of beginning sear was 117.I took it off at It 135.
sear.jpg
sliced.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve.
Honestly it was good, good beefy flavorbut I think the dry brine mad it too salty. Given a choice I would much rather have a reverse seared rib eye or a plate of brisket instead. I probably will not be doing a Tri tip again especially since it cost as much per pound as rib eye $10.99/lb. I had heard so much about tri tip I just had to try.

Wow, no tri tip is worth $10.99/lb. I won't buy it at $4.99/lb. It was considered junk meat, used for ground beef. I've cooked 4 figures worth of tri tip because it was so cheap here out west. Still is, relatively speaking.

You nailed the cook, though. For others, when dry brining a TT, go REAL light on the rub.

in SLC butcher TT is 10.99 +/- a buck, Costco is 4.99. I love TT, yours looks great! I like mine a touch more rare but would it it up either way!

I find the variability in availability of this cut of meat to be quite baffling. I have seen it in many posts. I found it at costco about two weeks ago, but havent checked to see if it was a regular item. my butcher has it 365 - but thats at 12/lb

Classic seasoning for Tri-Tip is 2 parts granulated garlic, 1 part salt, 1 part pepper (lighter if too hot). After seasoning I let the meat sit on the counter for 30-60 min. Final 135º looks good. Ours usually rests 10-15 minutes to let the juices re-distribute before cutting. How long did you let it rest before slicing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky