Trailer mounted reverse flow smoker with warmer box and pizza oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kiwi Dan

Original poster
Jul 20, 2023
New Zealand
Hey there,
I have finally found a domed tank in NZ after hunting for one for the last 3 years and am starting my long awaited trailer mounted smoker. I am after some advice on the chimney and a couple of other things also. As I am building a warmer box directly above the firebox I can’t run the chimney out the end but just not sure of the next best location for best draw and even smoke coverage. I am thinking I would bring it out at the 2 o’clock position approximately 50mm from the end of the tank. I am also aiming to have a inlet/outlet both directly from the firebox upwards into the warmer box and a second one from the cook chamber into the warm box. What size would be the best ? Last question, I am trying to incorporate a pizza oven that I am planning on making from the domed end that I cut off for the warmer box. Debating whether this is feasible or would it kill the draw too much..? The other option is to make it and install it separately on the trailer. Any thoughts would be appreciated, will start posting pics as I do it.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    179.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0052.jpeg
    IMG_0052.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 31
Sounds interesting. Do you have any sketches of what you have in mind?

I haven’t built a RF, but I am not understanding the pizza above the warming box. Wouldn’t you want the pizza oven directly above the fire box? It seems like you could even have a vent to flow heat directly out of the firebox and into the pizza oven and bypass the smoker cook chamber. The exhaust could exit the pizza oven back towards the smoker and the warming box could sit on top and be heated passively.

A friend of mine had Lang RF 60". It had a warming cabinet above the firebox. There is an adjustable baffle between the two. It was great for warming with baffle closed and would cook fast hot with it open. I would want a very high temperature for pizza.

RG 60_warmer-open.jpg

Last edited:
I originally drew it just like you have described
I haven’t built a RF, but I am not understanding the pizza above the warming box. Wouldn’t you want the pizza oven directly above the fire box? It seems like you could even have a vent to flow heat directly out of the firebox and into the pizza oven and bypass the smoker cook chamber. The exhaust could exit the pizza oven back towards the smoker and the warming box could sit on top and be heated passively.
I was originally going to have the pizza oven directly above the fire box however due to the temp I would need to run it thought it would turn the warmer box above into another cook chamber. The pizza oven would probably have its own fire in there. Hadn’t considered running exhaust back into the smoker though. Good thought, cheers

A friend of mine had Lang RF 60". It had a warming cabinet above the firebox. There is an adjustable baffle between the two. It was great for warming with baffle closed and would cook fast hot with it open. I would want a very high temperature for pizza.

RGView attachment 671179
Thanks for that, looks very similar to what I’m wanting to build. Looks like it has double vent from fire box as well as another one from the cook chamber. Do you know where the exhaust came out from the main cook chamber..?
Cheers

Main cook chamber has a smoke stack in the normal RF place. The warming box has two vents on the side facing the cook chamber.

RG

Didn’t make a proper start until this Xmas, This is what I’m up to. Going to aim to put baffle plate in this week, have two options , 8 mm (3/8)high tensile steel or 5 mm (not quite 1/4..) mild steel. The 8mm I will need to cut in half and install a piece of angle or the 5mm I can have pressed to create a place for fat to run down. Thoughts..?

Attachments

• IMG_3127.jpeg
    IMG_3127.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 482D5BC7-D735-4687-AF03-C8AD8B844EA2.jpeg
    482D5BC7-D735-4687-AF03-C8AD8B844EA2.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3193.jpeg
    IMG_3193.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3236.jpeg
    IMG_3236.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3264.jpeg
    IMG_3264.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 4A7324B6-790B-4C42-9618-24E58C0EF61E.jpeg
    4A7324B6-790B-4C42-9618-24E58C0EF61E.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3558.jpeg
    IMG_3558.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky