Traeger Conversion unit?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom walker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
I would love to find a way to convert a vertical tank into a Traeget type pellet pusher.
So, I'm asking if all y'all have ever heard of a Traeger kit being mounted on a non-Trager tank or refrigerator or phonebooth or livewell or whatever?

I mean, really. How hard could it be to make a few for yard sales.

I would have to find a suitable body for the smoker but even bending some sheet steel isn't that hard.

I've never seen a burned out Trager so I don't know if parts salvage is possible.

Still, I would like feedback from all you pellet people.

On a side note, I'm about ready to turn my garage into a smoke house if that durned gator won't leave.

I checked all the laws and there's nothing about smoking gators alive.

I'd be interested in whether or not something like that is available and where.  Need a small unit to take with me when I travel and nobody makes one.

I've thought about using a Smoke Daddy (http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/) cold smoke generator but I need the heat and I would like it with the type of controls that Traegers use.

The Trager web site sells no parts.

Other web sites that claim to have traeger parts do not have them based on the last 300 out of 300 sites I've visited.

Time to go to Craig's List,

Tom

Dennis over at Smoke Daddy also sells a complete hopper/controller/firepot for what you're thinking on doing

Not a bad deal

I've got a customer who got one, but has not fired it up yet

TJ

About a year ago, a guy in my area put an older style, verticle Traeger on craigslist. I've never seen another like it since. I copied the pics he posted and can put them up later when I get home to my own computer.

Dennis over at Smoke Daddy also sells a complete hopper/controller/firepot for what you're thinking on doing

Not a bad deal

TJ

Not a bad deal

TJ
Thanks TJ, I'll check it out.

I just spent a little time exploring Smoke Daddy's site, see the click-on at the Featured Sponsors area at the uppa right of this page.
It looks to me that I may have what I need for a vertical tank cooker/smoker.

I needed something I could hang up a hog or a deer. This will work.
I'll post the build when it gets going.

Thanks for the good help, guys.

Tom

Not a bad deal

TJ
Cool, thanks Todd.  I'll have to get the dimensions from them and go from there.

Joe

About a year ago, a guy in my area put an older style, verticle Traeger on craigslist. I've never seen another like it since. I copied the pics he posted and can put them up later when I get home to my own computer.
Ever seen a Traeger like this? It's hard to see, but that is the Traeger logo imprinted in the door.

Last edited:
Todd, got the information from Dennis, now to do some measuring and see if their unit will fit where I need it to go for traveling. If it's a go I'll keep you posted on the build.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky