Traeger Beer Can Turkey on a throne

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

princeeofsin

Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Hello everyone. It's been a while. But I'm excited to try out my new porcelain turkey throne and make beer can turkey in my Traeger. Your thoughts: Should I brine the turkey? Or cook it normal like beer can chicken? Let me know as I'm gonna try this next week. Thanks!

I always brine but I'm sure someones going to answer with:"You don't need to brine a beer can chicken".This is true,but why not brine ? Is there such a thing as too tender and juicy?

Bill

To brine is the way to go if you have the time.
I usually don't, & I always spatchcock my chickens.
I think they cook more evenly than the beer can way.
The key is to not over cook them.
Pull the chicken off at 157 in the deepest part of the breast, & after a 20-30 minute rest on the counter the carryover cooking will bring it up to 165. At that point the thigh should be around 175, which is perfect for thigh meat.
Al

To brine is the way to go if you have the time.
I usually don't, & I always spatchcock my chickens.
I think they cook more evenly than the beer can way.
The key is to not over cook them.
Pull the chicken off at 157 in the deepest part of the breast, & after a 20-30 minute rest on the counter the carryover cooking will bring it up to 165. At that point the thigh should be around 175, which is perfect for thigh meat.
Al
I'm with Al but I put mine on the beer cooker minus the beer.I don't do the beer because I find the can to be full when the bird is done.If you think about it- it makes sense.A can stuffed up in a bird that you take off at say 165* IT how is the beer gonna vaporize/boil to moisten at that temp?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky