Too much salt soprrssata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes the would be. 25% and 2.5 for 2.75 pretty close the rest I'm OK with

If you like more colour go crazy on paprika (red pepper powder). On other cured sausages I went as much as 4%. Just make sure is mixed well. Paprika tends to clump.

Some info on Low Curing Temps and inactivation...JJ
[h3]Curing Temperatures[/h3]
The curing temperature should be between 36-40° F (2-5° C) which falls within the range of a common refrigerator. Lower than 36° F (2° C) temperature may slow down the curing process or even halt it. Commercial producers can cure at lower temperatures because they add chemicals for that purpose. There is a temperature that can not be crossed when curing and this is when meat freezes at about 28° F (-2° C). Higher than normal temperatures speed up the curing process but increase the possibility of spoilage. This is a balancing act where we walk a line between the cure and the bacteria that want to spoil meat. The temperature of 50° F (10° C) is the point that separates two forces: below that temperature we keep bacteria in check, above 50° F (10° C) bacteria forces win and start spoiling the meat.

From Wedliny Domowe Meatsandsausages.com 

Last edited:
Chef JJ,

What's your opinion on freezing meat mixed with cure? When thawed will the curing process pick from where it left off?

Yes good to knos cause I'm gonna freeze 15 pounds rest I left to hang just to see what comes of it

Chef JJ,

What's your opinion on freezing meat mixed with cure? When thawed will the curing process pick from where it left off?
It's my understanding that temps below 36 stop the process and once defrosted becomes active. It is not the Cure that is temp sensitive, at low temps the water in the meat is too bound up for the cure to spread...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky