Too much pink curing salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coh1980

Original poster
Mar 16, 2024
So I’m bringing a 9 pound brisket for pastrami and I used 2 tablespoons of pink curing salt instead of 2 teaspoons. What should I do?

Yep, need to know if this is a dry brine. If liquid, you could pour off 2/3.
If you pour off 2/3, wouldn't you have to replace it with water to dilute the concentration ?
Then you would be diluting the seasoning as well which were at the appropriate levels (I assume).
My thought would be to toss the brine, rinse the brisket thoroughly, and make a new brine.
Never run into that situation so I'm not really sure...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
2 teaspoons for 9 pounds hints you are dry brining.
Change of plan and convert to a wet brine in 2 gallons of water. That will reduce the nitrite concentration back to roughly 150 ppm levels that is commonly used.
1 gallon of water is enough to make it safe if he just stared the process. So how long we are into the process is a need to know as well.

Reactions: Fueling Around
So I’m bringing a 9 pound brisket for pastrami and I used 2 tablespoons of pink curing salt instead of 2 teaspoons. What should I do?
2 Tbls of cure #1 in one gallon of water is about half the maximum allowed. You are fine, in fact there are a few members here who use 2 Tbls to one gallon water regularly.

When you figure cure #1 you include the meat weight AND the liquid weight if using. In this case 1 gallon of water (8.33 pounds or 3781.82 grams) should be included with the meat weight.

With your 2 teaspoons in 1 gallon of water I don’t think you would have had any cure color in the meat (no curing effect)

2 Tbls of cure #1 in one gallon of water is about half the maximum allowed. You are fine, in fact there are a few members here who use 2 Tbls to one gallon water regularly.

If you pour off 2/3, wouldn't you have to replace it with water to dilute the concentration ?
Then you would be diluting the seasoning as well which were at the appropriate levels (I assume).

Water, and more seasoning. I did some research into this today, as it got me curious. I found a person saying an old sausage recipe from the 40s had much higher curing salts than we do today. Doing nothing would probably be safe. Another article said you'd have to eat 22 kgs of sausage at one setting to get in the danger level. I'm just throwing stuff out there.

Good that you questioned you process and look for a correction or toss satiation.
You got a lot of good advice here. Carry on fixing you meal the good part about this forum we are here to help.

Warren

Sorry missed your reply that it is wet brine.
1 gallon of water is enough to make it safe if he just stared the process. So how long we are into the process is a need to know as well.
I was going by Pops brine
I weigh all my ingredients and haven't done a volumetric measurement in so long I don't remember.

You are perfectly fine with what you have mixed up. Needing to know how long you were in cure was going off the assumption that you dry rubbed it, that could have been a big problem. If you mixed 2 Tablespoons of cure 1 into a gallon of water you are just fine.

Only other question I have is how much salt did you add? This is the determining factor as to how long to brine, also, did you inject any of the brine into the meat?

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky