Today's smoke - St. Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The first rib photo is without glaze, the next photo is after glazing. I think the butter / brown sugar / honey treatment really added to the flavor, and appearance.
225 degrees, about 5 hours. Most often we use small pecan logs / branches, or other fruit wood chunks.
Did you add the vinegar BBQ sauce glaze just for a little acid to offset the unctuousness of the inherent fatty greasiness pork and the butter/brown sugar/honey and the sweetness of the Coca-Cola? Of course I didn't taste them but those ribs looked superb before the glaze. HOWEVER, after seeing the sliced ribs with the cooked on glaze on the serving platter, you nailed the finished look that I've yet to attain. Those STL ribs looks just like the ribs I was fortunate to taste at a BBQ competition in my town a few years ago. Those remain THE best ribs I've ever tasted. I imagine yours were equally as tasty. I now need to see if I can replicate your feat in my little MES 30. Just need to decide if I want to smoke the ribs over pecan, hickory or apple.

Why did you choose pecan wood over apple? I think in choosing pecan you were going for a more subtle smoke flavor than hickory.

Know I'm a little late here but those ribs look great!

Never thought about using Coca-Cola in the foil...gonna have to try that!

I always use apple juice(with brown sugar, squeeze butter, and rub of course)

I used pecan simply because we have a good supply of it on hand, from a tree we cut down. I think they call that recycling.
The vinegar sauce was used because that is what was used in the recipe.

I used pecan simply because we have a good supply of it on hand, from a tree we cut down. I think they call that recycling.
The vinegar sauce was used because that is what was used in the recipe.
That's even better reason to use pecan. As for vinegar sauce, I might use it. But I guess I'm a bit of BBQ snob because my favorite Q styles are Texas, KC, Memphis, and Santa Maria, CA (the last one for tri-tip). None of those finish off with a vinegar sauce like they employ in the Carolinas and the South in general.

I lived in NC 3 times. I've never been a fan of their BBQ sauce. Just try going to a BBQ joint and ask for no sauce...they look at you like you just escaped for the asylum. I simply do not like vinegar if I can taste it, but I like mustard.

Reactions: daricksta
I lived in NC 3 times. I've never been a fan of their BBQ sauce. Just try going to a BBQ joint and ask for no sauce...they look at you like you just escaped for the asylum. I simply do not like vinegar if I can taste it, but I like mustard.
I've lived on the West Coast all my life. In my area there is one outstanding Q place and he does it Texas style. Very good brisket. He was out of b-back ribs that day, so my wife and I will be making a return visit. Otherwise for our tastes, the best local Q comes out of my electric smoker. I'll sometimes use apple cider vinegar or cola if a BBQ sauce recipe, foil juice or a mop calls for it.

Reactions: hb99
I've lived on the West Coast all my life. In my area there is one outstanding Q place and he does it Texas style. Very good brisket. He was out of b-back ribs that day, so my wife and I will be making a return visit. Otherwise for our tastes, the best local Q comes out of my electric smoker. I'll sometimes use apple cider vinegar or cola if a BBQ sauce recipe, foil juice or a mop calls for it.

I like Texas (although not too much black pepper, like on a brisket) and Memphis-style (any sweet sauce works for me.

I foil, but I don't mop or sauce my ribs. Sauce is for dipping.

I do make a reduced glaze with the foil drippings after it's been de-greased (set in freezer for 1/2 hour and hard greased removed), reheated then filtered before the reduction.

I'm not really a soda fan. But I am thinking about trying some Cherry Dr. Pepper with a half butt in a month or so to see how it goes over with the family when they visit.

I like Texas (although not too much black pepper, like on a brisket) and Memphis-style (any sweet sauce works for me.

I foil, but I don't mop or sauce my ribs. Sauce is for dipping.

I do make a reduced glaze with the foil drippings after it's been de-greased (set in freezer for 1/2 hour and hard greased removed), reheated then filtered before the reduction.

I'm not really a soda fan. But I am thinking about trying some Cherry Dr. Pepper with a half butt in a month or so to see how it goes over with the family when they visit.

At our house, we use black pepper very judiciously. But with some dishes it's black pepper that pulls it all together. I experienced that with a meal in an Italian restaurant.

You've got some great tips here. When I judge the ribs to be done, I typically "glaze" the ribs with BBQ sauce and let them cook about 10 minutes more. My family doesn't like bark on the ribs. They prefer the glaze finish. Since I always like to experiment, the next time I smoke ribs (I have two b-backs in the freezer), I wrap one rack and the other will remain naked. I also plan to buy some STL ribs to see if I can at least approximate what you turned out.

We used to drink a lot of Pepsi years ago and then we quit. For a cola BBQ sauce, I use one type for grilled Korean food and another for basting beer can chicken. The first time I grilled Korean Flanken short ribs (Bulgogi) my wife made the cola BBQ sauce for it since I had something like two side dishes I was also making. I plan to make it all again this summer.

...grilled Korean food and another for basting beer can chicken. The first time I grilled Korean Flanken short ribs (Bulgogi)...

I hear you on the Bulgogi...I've been to Korea 6 -7 times.

PA180333.JPG

Here's a pic of me in 2005. I've been to or worked on some weapon system on almost every base in So. Korea (as well as the States, Germany, Italy, Macedonia and Kosovo). I think we're somewhere outside of Camp Casey. (I'm the one on the left, LOL!) I like Dongdongju (large bowl at bottom of pic). If you know what "dong" (sh1t) means, it's referring to the loose rice particles in it since it hasn't been filtered (Mokoli).

On one of my trips, the concierge at the hotel tipped me off to where I could get it about 2 blocks away from the hotel. I went back there almost every night.

When I got back the first night he handed me a copy of the recipe for Dongdongju, but I've never made it.

I still have a couple bottles of Soju in the cabinet and fridge.:confused:

I just noticed that you are in Seattle. I've worked at Ft. Lewis a number of times also. I visited Jimi Hendrix' grave site in Renton my first time there ...you have to have priorities you know. Whenever I go to a new place I get all touristy and think I'll never get to return so I take advantage of my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: daricksta

View attachment 358075

Here's a pic of me in 2005. I've been to or worked on some weapon system on almost every base in So. Korea (as well as the States, Germany, Italy, Macedonia and Kosovo). I think we're somewhere outside of Camp Casey. (I'm the one on the left, LOL!) I like Dongdongju (large bowl at bottom of pic). If you know what "dong" (sh1t) means, it's referring to the loose rice particles in it since it hasn't been filtered (Mokoli).

On one of my trips, the concierge at the hotel tipped me off to where I could get it about 2 blocks away from the hotel. I went back there almost every night.

When I got back the first night he handed me a copy of the recipe for Dongdongju, but I've never made it.

I just noticed that you are in Seattle. I've worked at Ft. Lewis a number of times also. I visited Jimi Hendrix' grave site in Renton my first time there ...you have to have priorities you know. Whenever I go to a new place I get all touristy and think I'll never get to return so I take advantage of my time.
You know, hb, we almost have something else in common other than a love of smoking meat. You've been to So. Korea (and other countries) a few times. I've eaten in a Korea restaurant once and Italian restaurants several times! As for Dongdongju--the Koreans drink their rice shit out of a bowl? I think the name is pretty funny. I had to look that up on Google. Had to do the same thing with Soju. Wonder why you don't find more of that in this country?

What is Macedonian and Kosovo food like?

I've lived outside Seattle for 18 years now and have never been to Jimi's grave. Just like when my wife and I lived about 40 miles away from San Francisco we rarely went into the City. The reason remains the same: the traffic, crowds, and expensive parking remain the same. Yeah, we can take the ferry into Seattle, but we're not in the greatest of physical shape so we limit the areas in which we walk. I'm told the best Korean joints are in Seattle. Someday I hope to try one or two. The ones in my county are mediocre at best.

You know, hb, we almost have something else in common other than a love of smoking meat. You've been to So. Korea (and other countries) a few times. I've eaten in a Korea restaurant once and Italian restaurants several times! As for Dongdongju--the Koreans drink their rice shit out of a bowl? I think the name is pretty funny. I had to look that up on Google. Had to do the same thing with Soju. Wonder why you don't find more of that in this country?

What is Macedonian and Kosovo food like?

I've lived outside Seattle for 18 years now and have never been to Jimi's grave. Just like when my wife and I lived about 40 miles away from San Francisco we rarely went into the City. The reason remains the same: the traffic, crowds, and expensive parking remain the same. Yeah, we can take the ferry into Seattle, but we're not in the greatest of physical shape so we limit the areas in which we walk. I'm told the best Korean joints are in Seattle. Someday I hope to try one or two. The ones in my county are mediocre at best.

Almost something in common! LOL!

Well, technically, (there's a scoop in the bowl) you scoop it into a cup.

I hear you, most of NYC has never been to the Statue of Liberty. I've taken the Seattle ferry. My wife's cousin used to live in Bremerton, now she's lives south of the Cabela's in Lacy.

Macedonian & Kosovo food? Like most food...food is food. The only real differences are the spices. I ate at a Kosovar's house when the place still didn't have utilities except for maybe 3 hours a day. They served "fli" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flia) and yogurt drink (I did not like this), "kos", if I remember correctly. Most of the time I stuck with burgers, pizza, beer and bread. They cooked in a large pan on a campfire in their back yard and covered it with a trash can lid and covered with coals.

We interacted with the Russians, Finn, Swedes, Albanians, Serbs, etc. By the time I left my first tour I was ordering my meals in Albanian. Wouldn't you know it, the day before leaving I found an Albanian/English dictionary. DOH!

A month after my first tour in Kosovo I volunteered to go go Italy for a month to inspect all of the weapons on base. My wife went with me. We had a good time, but they worked my butt off. After doing inspections all day I had to give out briefing's to the commanders. I even made one commander temporarily reassign his armorer because she was pregnant (too many cleaning chemicals and lubricants in the arms room). That makes for a long day. We went to Rome on that trip and got blessed by the Pope on Sunday morning. Totally unexpected. My wife is a Baptist so she wasn't impressed. LOL!

Almost something in common! LOL!

Well, technically, (there's a scoop in the bowl) you scoop it into a cup.

I hear you, most of NYC has never been to the Statue of Liberty. I've taken the Seattle ferry. My wife's cousin used to live in Bremerton, now she's lives south of the Cabela's in Lacy.

Macedonian & Kosovo food? Like most food...food is food. The only real differences are the spices. I ate at a Kosovar's house when the place still didn't have utilities except for maybe 3 hours a day. They served "fli" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flia) and yogurt drink (I did not like this), "kos", if I remember correctly. Most of the time I stuck with burgers, pizza, beer and bread. They cooked in a large pan on a campfire in their back yard and covered it with a trash can lid and covered with coals.

We interacted with the Russians, Finn, Swedes, Albanians, Serbs, etc. By the time I left my first tour I was ordering my meals in Albanian. Wouldn't you know it, the day before leaving I found an Albanian/English dictionary. DOH!

A month after my first tour in Kosovo I volunteered to go go Italy for a month to inspect all of the weapons on base. My wife went with me. We had a good time, but they worked my butt off. After doing inspections all day I had to give out briefing's to the commanders. I even made one commander temporarily reassign his armorer because she was pregnant (too many cleaning chemicals and lubricants in the arms room). That makes for a long day. We went to Rome on that trip and got blessed by the Pope on Sunday morning. Totally unexpected. My wife is a Baptist so she wasn't impressed. LOL!
hb99, I've barely been anywhere in my life, and I'm quickly running out of time. I greatly admire your world travels. You worked with or for the military and I've done office work most of my life. I'm retired now. This year my goal is to publish my first novel.

Food may be food but it is indeed the spices and cooking techniques that differentiate one cuisine from another. Thai food is very different from the various Chinese regional cuisines, and I cook a few of those myself. I love what I call experiencing new taste sensations. But from what you described you're a walking culinary United Nations. As for you getting blessed by the Pope and your Baptist wife being unimpressed, well, I read a JFK bio by Chris Matthews and now I'm reading his RFK bio. Now, I was 11 years old when JFK won the presidency and barely aware of some controversies. I knew his Irish Catholicism was a huge issue. Reading those bios now, I still don't get it. So, the Kennedys were Catholic. Big deal. I could go on but I'll send you a PM instead.

OK...let's take this off-line...sorry about high-jacking this thread...
I agree. I'm involved in discussion groups on a few social media sites. I've always enjoyed reading how threads start off on one subject and mutate into something else. However, this mutated hijacking served to help us learn more about you. The photos of those ribs just whet my appetite for photos of other meats you pull from that smoker.

View attachment 358075

I did a year at Camp Casey. Hated it mostly but I did find a cpl good food places where you can cook it right on the hot plate in front of you. I did 7 yrs at lewis all in the 90s as well.

To the Original Poster, nice pool man!!!

Update: Yes, these were my single best effort! However, we smoked some baby backs recently. They were nearly as meaty, but without all of the cartilage that is common with the St. Louis cut. Making the B.B. ribs more pleasurable to eat.

I always buy these at Costco, and for the future will stick with B.B. ribs.

Edit: While I can fit 6 to 8 racks in my smoker, from now on will only do three at a time. This gives me a bit more room, and should produce better results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky