To spatchcock or not to spatchcock - that is the question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caveman27

Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Union, WA
Picked up a fresh, no additive turkey tonight for Thanksgiving.  Got about a dozen hungry folks showing up so I bought an 18 pounder.  Looking for fresh ideas (this will be my 4th smoked turkey but the biggest so far) and I came upon the idea of spatchcocking.  Trouble is the door to my smoker is only 15" and the inside measures 16x16.  There is no way a splayed out bird will fit in there.

I suppose I could just go ahead and cut through the breast as well but I am concerned about it getting dry.  I plan to apple brine for 24 hours and then rest for 10-12 prior to putting it on.  Typically I throw some sliced apples into the bird as well during the smoke for just a little added apple flavor.  Without the cavity that wouldn't work.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?  Even though I have been at this a while I don't do it often enough to get beyond newbie 
pot.gif

You could cut it in Half and smoke meat side down with some Apple Cider in the cavity. You could also spatchcock it and place it in the smoker breast side up but in an inverted " V ", like so.../\.... A bamboo skewer or two will help keep the meat from touching the walls of the smoker. Stick them through the meat and the rungs of the rack to hold the bird in place...JJ

Thanks Jimmy for the quick response.  After much deliberation, I am going traditional one more time.  The 18 lb. bird wasn't as big as I thought it would be and I have already had success with the old way.  I am going to try your trick before the seasons up however.  Who knows I might like it better.

Ended the brine a couple off hours ago - bird in fridge resting until morning.  Wish me luck and have a great Thanksgiving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky