To rub or not to rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ianSmoKnston

Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
Hi all,

Newbie here from Ireland. Want to get ‘y’all’ thoughts on how best to do ribs.. firstly I don’t hope I offend anyone.

So.. have been smoking my ribs using a dark soye/ garlic / ginger / brown sugar.. it’s my go to but I want to start experimenting..

My question as I’ve read two separate methods is (given I live in country that is generally humid) so please let me know the order you go with.. I’m thinking;

1) leave the ribs overnight in .. orange juice or apple juice or even apple cider vinegar

Why; infuse with both sweetness and liquid. I would only apply a rub without salt overnight/ with salt only 1hr before grilling.

2) apply the rub of my choice ( I would go salty / smoked paprika and ground chilli & garlic salt.

Why? Bring the liquid back out of the meat but mix with counter salt and spice.

Cook on a indirect heat fits some smoke for 3 hours.

Q: I would reuse the liquid for basting..
do ppl do that?

Sauces for glazing .. I use a bit of honey.. but I think it works better with chicken ..

Let me know your guys though.

Also I really would LOVE some thoughts on lamb ribs.. very different meat to use

Reactions: JLeonard
So many different ways to cook pork ribs. Got to admit the methods described above are a bit new to me. Here in the states, it's salt and the dry rub of choice, then smoke until tender. Some will wrap via the 3-2-1 method. Some will apply a sauce in the last 30 minutes. Now lamb ribs are interesting. Thinking maybe spray them lightly with oil then salt & pepper plus a bit of garlic powder. Maybe a very light dusting of powdered thyme? Watch them carefully so not to over cook them.

Newbie here from Ireland. Want to get ‘y’all’ thoughts on how best to do ribs.. firstly I don’t hope I offend anyone.
Only if your from Northern Ireland :emoji_laughing:. My Grandmother was brought up in Cork and Kerry.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have ya join.

I've never done lamb ribs, but for pork ribs:

1. No I wouldn't brine overnight in any fruit liquid. You'll be getting mushy meat.

2. The rub sounds fine to me especially if that's what you like. It's also dependent on how much salt is used.

3. Yes some folks do use the juices from the meat for basting, but most people use the juice to make an au jus.

4. For pork ribs I like a sweet sauce so something honey based would be fine.

1) leave the ribs overnight in .. orange juice or apple juice or even apple cider vinegar
Mix these three but go easy on the vinegar and add some salt this will help pull the flavors into the meat.

2) apply the rub of my choice ( I would go salty / smoked paprika and ground chilli & garlic salt.
Sounds delicious to me.

Cook on a indirect heat fits some smoke for 3 hours.
3 hours will work at 275-300F. For baby backs.
I like 250F for about 4 hours.

I don’t baste. I usually don’t glaze but when I do I mix up apricot jam with soy sauce and granulated garlic.

Also I really would LOVE some thoughts on lamb ribs.. very different meat to use

Salt, pepper and garlic is all I use on lamb ribs. If they are on the fatter side I sometimes wet them with fresh lemon juice, this brings a Mediterranean taste to the lamb and the acid helps cut the fat.

Welcome to the forum from Colorado.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky