Thoughts and prayers for our Texas brothers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes....PLEASE be safe, if they tell you to leave, LEAVE!!! Your life and your family's lives are too valuable!!

Saw the destruction and damage first hand from Hurricane Sandy, 5 years ago.

# 1 son is back up in New Jersey (Runs Tower Cranes) but our Daughter-in-law and the Grand-kids came up to our house Thursday night.

They live in Katy just West of Houston. We are about 200 miles North.

Gunna be a mess

Gary

Praying for all the fine folks in Texas. Disaster crews in my area have already packed up and are ready to make the drive (2000 mi) to help out. They are bringing a ton of stuff.

Thanks guys.  I live just 30 minutes east of Houston and we've had about 20" of rain since yesterday morning.  The system is expected to drift back toward coast and then over Houston. Water is everywhere with more rain expected in the next couple of days.  

Joel

1 Corinthians 9:24

Thanks guys.  I live just 30 minutes east of Houston and we've had about 20" of rain since yesterday morning.  The system is expected to drift back toward coast and then over Houston. Water is everywhere with more rain expected in the next couple of days.  

Joel

Been following things closely, I have friends in Pasadena. Looks like you guys are taking a beating. Stay safe and God Bless.

I am thinking of those folks in Texas.  I do hope they are all safe, and their insurance companies Pay up Quick.  I am watching CNN as I type this, and even though I am a Canadian, my heart goes out to them, Like the one couple who woke up this morning and got out of bed and stepped into water an inch below the top of the bed.  Stay Safe and Stay Smart.  No need for risking your life for that Video or Photo.  That state is going to screwed for along time.  I was on Underground weather earlier today, and did their Wonder Map, and clicked on weather watchers site in the middle of the Storm and he was showing 269 MM of rain and it was climbing every 30 seconds another MM, and that was about 2:00 this afternoon.  I know the fellow here in our town who has the weather station online - http://www.brantfordweather.ca/ and his system resets at the stoke of Midnight local time, so this location, just south of Dallas got over 10 inches of rain.

Most of us cannot imagine that much rain falling, so may God help them

Last edited:

Been following things closely, I have friends in Pasadena. Looks like you guys are taking a beating. Stay safe and God Bless.
Thanks BBQ Willie.  We've been rain free for the last three hours but as I am writing this the rain has started again.  If there is a silver lining, the forecasters have said the rain for the next couple of day may not be as severe.  Hope your friends in Pasadena are ok. Been here for 50 years and have never experienced anything like this.

Joel

Houston got 2 more feet of rain yesterday and they are predicting more. Now BOTH airports are closed.

Gary

Houston got 2 more feet of rain yesterday and they are predicting more. Now BOTH airports are closed.

Gary
I got a FAA alert a little earlier stating that Bush (IAH) would reopen at 12:00 Noon today and that Hobby (Hou) is scheduled to reopen at 8:00 AM on Wednesday. Of course, that's assuming basic airport operating conditions and is not flight specific when considering that airport employees, flight crews, ground crews, etc. might even be able to get to the airports. It's going to be a mess for some time.

I was scheduled to fly into IAH yesterday for meetings in Houston today. Needless to say, I cancelled that trip last week.

The pics coming out of Texas are just heartbreaking.  Hopes and prayers for all. 

I had to ride out Hurricane Allen in south Texas in August 1980 due to collateral military duty as squadron Hurricane Evacuation Officer at NAS Kingsville.  I sent everyone to safety but had to remain with a small team to make sure squadron spaces, the hangar, and maintenance aircraft were secure.  Personally ended up with a crushed car, no roof, and a flooded house as a result of Allen, but USAA (insurance) went out of their way to make it all better, cutting an initial check on the spot after a quick inspection.  Within a month, my life was back to normal.  As their slogan says, "USAA member for life."  I'm still with them today. 

We had a lot of rain, 18" in three hours, but the rain totals in Texas from Harvey are just unimaginable.  Teams are being sent from Sacramento to help with the rescue and recovery efforts.  I suspect that is the same story around much of the rest of the country.  It is times like this we focus on what is truly important, people's lives.            

The pics coming out of Texas are just heartbreaking.  Hopes and prayers for all. 

I had to ride out Hurricane Allen in south Texas in August 1980 due to collateral military duty as squadron Hurricane Evacuation Officer at NAS Kingsville.  I sent everyone to safety but had to remain with a small team to make sure squadron spaces, the hangar, and maintenance aircraft were secure.  Personally ended up with a crushed car, no roof, and a flooded house as a result of Allen, but USAA (insurance) went out of their way to make it all better, cutting an initial check on the spot after a quick inspection.  Within a month, my life was back to normal.  As their slogan says, "USAA member for life."  I'm still with them today. 

We had a lot of rain, 18" in three hours, but the rain totals in Texas from Harvey are just unimaginable.  Teams are being sent from Sacramento to help with the rescue and recovery efforts.  I suspect that is the same story around much of the rest of the country.  It is times like this we focus on what is truly important, people's lives.            
Yes, the pics are unbelievable, and it appears they're going to get worse.

I get to Houston every 5-6 weeks on business and it stuns me to see places I know under water. I was watching CNN coverage last night and the camera was on a building with people coming out in chest high water that looked familiar. As the camera panned back a little I recognized it I said to my wife "Holy Crap!" and told her that it was the hotel I normally stay at, The Omni on Riverway in the Uptown area. Guess I won't be staying there, or anywhere else in Houston, for quite a while.

I recall spending a couple extra non-voluntary extra days at The Omni in 2008 when Hurricane Ike came through. That was a significant storm, but in retrospect, compared to Harvey, it was a puppy. Especially when you consider that the 4th largest city in America is now mostly underwater and crippled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky