Grow your own ribeye!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Most all of my life our family had cattle. I swore that I was done with them as soon as I left home. Well, not so much... Even after moving away from home I would come out and help dad with the cattle and his damn goats. So I was still stuck with working cattle...

Sadly, we had to get dad into a home a few years ago, and we sold all but 7 acres of the family farm in East Texas. Sold the cattle and goats too!

Well, fast forward to 2021, me and the bride decided NOT to wait for retirement to buy our forever place in the country, and guess what; I bought some cattle shortly after we bought our spot in the country...

So, if you're still reading, the picture below is what you need to grow your own ribeye or brisket!

Well, that's some of it, you also need vet bills, fertilizer for the pasture, round bales of hay during the winter, and it also helps to have a bride that DOESN'T name everything that's born on the place! When she names them, they DON'T go to the sale barn or packing plant!
feed.JPG

Many others have feed bills higher than mine, I respect y'all for that!

Yup the proof is in the putting! Definitely requires some dedicated work though. Hat's off to ya brother. Our daughter and her husband raise pure & full blood wagyu for a business. They work they're butts off.

Last edited:
More power to ya CB. My grandmother grew up on a farm and had no problem with raising food that fed the family. Me, I couldn't do it . I'd give them names and raise them like pets.

Chris

Before hunting season I name any deer we see in the trail cams after my exes.
Yeah that wouldn't work. When I was in my early teens. I shot and wounded a bird with a BB gun. I felt really bad about it for a spell. That same week my best friend and I were playing GI Joe with BB guns in the woods. I took off my baseball hat and put it on a fallen log. Then I snuck around and saw him move. I took aim and shot him above the eye. He had a welt the size of a golf tee, and I couldn't stop myself from laughing. That was until our mothers found out what we were doing.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
I don't reckon I have named any. I do enjoy watching the calves play and spend time around them to get them used to me when they are young ........ makes things way easier come time to load them when their time comes to go. That said, I have no emotional attachment to livestock like I have with my dogs. They are food.

Awesomeness. Yeah. My bill is a lot higher. I was raised on the farm my whole life, no way I couldn't have animals.
Adam there's no way I could handle a large outfit anymore. I'm down to 3, from 7, and want to keep it there, but I know the main girl is bred back, and Candis is talking feeder steer...
Eating a T-bone from a beef that was raised on my farm as I type this.
Hard to beat isn't it?
More power to ya CB. My grandmother grew up on a farm and had no problem with raising food that fed the family. Me, I couldn't do it . I'd give them names and raise them like pets.

Chris
Well, we recently sold a heifer that was named Barbie-Q. :emoji_laughing:
But knowing where and what that beef was eating makes it taste all the better.

Jim
That's the big thing right there. I have a steer up the road at a friend's place that is about to be finished out on some grain. The bride is talking to another neighbor about getting 2 more steers as soon as they are off of momma. They will go up the road to the lease pasture as well. If she gets them tamed and named, I'll be screwed.

Reactions: JLeonard
Most all of my life our family had cattle. I swore that I was done with them as soon as I left home. Well, not so much... Even after moving away from home I would come out and help dad with the cattle and his damn goats. So I was still stuck with working cattle...

Sadly, we had to get dad into a home a few years ago, and we sold all but 7 acres of the family farm in East Texas. Sold the cattle and goats too!

Well, fast forward to 2021, me and the bride decided NOT to wait for retirement to buy our forever place in the country, and guess what; I bought some cattle shortly after we bought our spot in the country...

So, if you're still reading, the picture below is what you need to grow your own ribeye or brisket!

Well, that's some of it, you also need vet bills, fertilizer for the pasture, round bales of hay during the winter, and it also helps to have a bride that DOESN'T name everything that's born on the place! When she names them, they DON'T go to the sale barn or packing plant!
View attachment 688119
Many others have feed bills higher than mine, I respect y'all for that!
You're living my dream brother. As soon as my youngest leaves the house (3 years) I want to get 20 acres with a pasture to put cows. I've even considered leasing it to a local farmer just so I can watch them and eventually eat 1 or 2. Congrats!

Living the dream is right…..just a little motivation for ya….. my brother just finished these in grain….
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_1.jpeg

He just got them back from the butcher last week…..2 years old and each averaged 1400+lbs…..

He kept 1/2 of the smaller one….
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

I was like bla bla yea I don’t need 1/2 a beef in the freezer……then he showed me these pics….
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

These made me way jelly!!!!

This is why you grow your own!

Our daughter is now present in three weekend markets (at the same time) selling their pureblood wagyu beef and doing very well. She is headed back to the USDA processor next week to review their process (per their request) butchering her latest steer. Lots of special cuts required. I get to tag along so this is gong to be really interesting to watch.

Reactions: indaswamp and DougE
Our daughter is now present in three weekend markets (at the same time) selling their pureblood wagyu beef and doing very well. She is headed back to the USDA processor next week to review their process (per their request) butchering her latest steer. Lots of special cuts required. I get to tag along so this is gong to be really interesting to watch.
Be a fun trip for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky