Thermometer Issues`

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Colt66

Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Wapwallopen, PA
Hello everyone,
I'm new to smoking and have a newbie question for you guys and gals. I have an Oklahoma Joes offset smoker and I just bought a dual probe thermometer (brand is ThermoPro) so I could get a little more accurate. However, the analog thermometer that came with the smoker and the one i just bought are off by A LOT like at least 60 degrees. I have done ribs twice and a brisket and everything came out so-so as I would consider it but now I'm paranoid wondering which (if either) thermometer is correct/accurate. Did i buy junk? Is it worth just spending the money for a good one? I appreciate any feed back.

Colt66
Would suggest doing a ice water/boiling water calbriation on all temperature probes for a baseline. Then adjust probes if possible. The analog probe might be your bad actor. Not a ThermoPro user, which model is it? Hopefully a SMF user will comment on the model.

rjob, it's a TP17. It was only like $25 from amazon. When I get home later i will calibrate it and see where that puts me. Should there be a major difference in temperature from the rack the meat sits on to where the analog thermometer is on the lid?

I agree with rjob in running the ice water/boiling water calibration. Who knows, your internal in the smoker could be off. I have been using my thermopro dual probe for 5 years and have never had an issue.

Analog thermos are notoriously inaccurate and need to be calibrated frequently. The thermos attached to most smokers and grills are frequently, if not usually, off by quite a bit. Like others have mentioned, I would do at least the boil water test.

I too have an OKJ Highland. The gauge that came with my smoker was defective. It clouded up the first time that it rained. I contacted Char Broil and then sent one to me as a replacement but some kind of issue occurred with the shipping so I never received it. That is a story for another time I suppose but I did purchase a pair of gauges from Amazon that are color coded for easy reference. I believe they are the dozy ant brand. At any rate, they boil tested as right on accurate. The thing you have to remember is that heat rises and the grate level is very different. I'm sure that your probes are giving you the right info. I have a new ThermPro TP08 and it worked flawlessly on it's maiden voyage. On my smoker I put probes at grate level right under the door mounted gauges. The one on the left farthest away from the fire is about 50 degrees different from the grate temp. The one on the right closest to the fire is about 75 degrees hotter than the grate temp. The key is that they are very consistent. I could probably cook by my door gauges if I just adjust for the temperature variance. I'm in IT and tech flows through my veins so I would never consider abandoning my grate probes for smoking. The point being if you don't find your ThermPro to be way off during a boil or freeze test then just rely on that for your actual cooking temp and the door mounted gauge can probably be used a quick reference for a ballpark number whenever you are standing next to your pit. If you rely on that more accurate number to make your fuel and vent adjustments then I am willing to bet you will come up with much better results from your pit. Just my two cents.

George

George,
I calibrated today after work and both probes were only off by a degree or two on both ends of the spectrum (boiling and ice water). Looking back this makes sense being that my analog thermo was reading way higher than my probes, because my ribs didn’t look as done as I wanted them to. I probably wasn’t burning hot enough. I’m really excited to try this again knowing I can trust my temp readings with my new thermometer. Thanks for your input and experiences.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky