Thermo Works Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Its arrived and I used it as part of the BBQ course I was giving last weekend alongside a couple of ET-732s. What a lovely solid, professional feeling piece of kit. The magnet was great too for keeping it in place. Its gets my vote and I hope they start selling them directly in the UK soon 
icon14.gif

Well, my smoker is almost finished and as soon as its done, we'll be slaughtering pigs..   That being the case, I don't have the luxury of waiting for a sale on the Smoke, so I ordered one straight from their website.

Should be here by the 26th..  

Well, my smoker is almost finished and as soon as its done, we'll be slaughtering pigs..   That being the case, I don't have the luxury of waiting for a sale on the Smoke, so I ordered one straight from their website.

Should be here by the 26th..  
You're going to like it Murphy625. Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving.

I got the Thermowork's Smoke in the mail today.

Not going to go into a big review because there's plenty of them on youtube..   they aren't lying..  seems like a quality unit.

I've never owned one of these things before but holding it in my hand, it sort of feels like my Fluke Multimeter..  its a robust and solid feeling piece of electronics.

The update rate between the two units is just like they said..   7 seconds or so.

I even got a free infrared thermometer as a gift from Thermowork's.. 

I am torn on what to do....Thermoworks "Smoke" or BBQ Guru Digi Q with fan.....
Those are two completely different things.

The Smoke is just a dual probe therm.

The Guru is a pit controller, which also has a probe for the food.

If you have a charcoal or wood smoker, then I would go with the Guru.

If you have electric or propane, Guru doesn't make anything for you.

So the Smoke would be your only option between the two.

Al

Reactions: birdman080
I have the WSM.  I went ahead and bought the Thermoworks Smoke.  I want to work on controlling smoker temp on my own, before purchasing something automated.  I may not end up needing it if I can get used to controlling temp on my own.  I appreciate your help Al.  Thank you!

I have the WSM.  I went ahead and bought the Thermoworks Smoke.  I want to work on controlling smoker temp on my own, before purchasing something automated.  I may not end up needing it if I can get used to controlling temp on my own.  I appreciate your help Al.  Thank you!

As you probably already know... the WSM's are rock solid... as close to set and forget as you can get with a charcoal smoker... sure you may have to adjust a time or two during the whole cook... but ins't this one of the reason why we do this whole smoking thing... so we can fondle our smokers ?? :biggrin:

The product works as advertised with 2 MAJOR Drawbacks.

The Thermocouple is apparently very VERY delicate. I have used my Green Egg for several years with no problems on other products. I had a flame rise to the grill level with the Smoke probe in the meat and it fried it.

In talking with the customer service rep, he advised that the system is not designed for grilling, but only smoking. He also said that I needed to be careful not to immerse the cable in water, but use special wipes designed for the cable. Really?

Attached is the email transcript:

Pro-Series probes are designed around a low and slow cooking process such as in a smoker or oven. For direct high heat grilling we suggest an instant read thermometer such as the Thermapen or ThermoPop.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Common Causes of Probe Failure

·          The probe has been used outside of the recommended temperature range. Keep the probe cable away from oven elements, flames, coals, grill or oven racks—all of which can reach temperatures far higher than 700°F (even if an oven is set lower).

·          The cable got wet. When you’re cleaning your probe, you can carefully wipe down the stainless steel cable as long as you don’t submerge it in liquid. You might find it easiest to clean the cable with our probe wipes.

·          Excessive wire kinking.

Thankfully, I knew that from somewhere before, so I avoid excessively high temperatures.  That's similar to the grill grates that I use on my Slow N Sear; you're not supposed to get them above something like 700F.  I didn't know the Thermopop could handle higher temperatures, that's good to know, thanks!

When I do grill, I don't use the Smoke.  So, for example, I'll cook wings indirectly at around 350, and then finish them on my grill grates.

I'm sorry your probe was damaged.  :-(

does anyone know if they are releasing this model to the UK anytime soon?

I'm in the market for a good thermometer but want to avoid obvious resellers/scams etc

I am reviewing some new data loggers for ETI Limited (the UK sister company of American Thermoworks) and I asked them about the Smoke soon after I bought one from the USA. They confirmed that they have no plans to add it to their catalog as they feel that it does not really add anything substantive to their other products. They are launching two new Bluetooth and Wifi products though that may be of interest

https://thermometer.co.uk/95-new-products-for-2017

The logger I am reviewing is the WiFi Logger ThermaData TD2TC

https://thermometer.co.uk/wireless-...-channel-type-k-or-t-thermocouple-logger.html

As you probably already know... the WSM's are rock solid... as close to set and forget as you can get with a charcoal smoker... sure you may have to adjust a time or two during the whole cook... but ins't this one of the reason why we do this whole smoking thing... so we can fondle our smokers ??
biggrin.gif
I agree the WSM is a rock solid charcoal smoker needing little input from the cook. Technology dominates many areas of our lives. My smoking hobby is a large part of my life and I have purposely kept as much technology out of it as possible. I use a Thermapen which is the most technical thing you will find in my smoking tools. I get a great deal of satisfaction from having learned how to control my stick burners without all the technology. I was cooking for a outdoor wedding last summer and people would stop by and ask questions about the smokers etc. A couple was walking away and I heard the husband comment to his wife "what that guy is doing is a art" I felt very gratified. If I was sitting in a lawn chair doing nothing and everything was running itself and I'm monitoring everything on my phone would have that prompted the same comment from the husband? Maybe but I doubt it.

But everyone has their own way and good Q is good Q
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky