The Smoker Size Conundrum..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbadbry

Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hi guys,

Ive been watching these forums for quite some time and finally gathered enough testicular fortitude to buy a smoker and get grillin'. Well, actually, I bought two; which is why I am looking for your advice; Allow me to explain...

Ive got a family of 4; with my two youngest being 6mo and 3yrs. we tend to be reclusive, and not generally the type to throw big parties mostly because with two youngins in this age group - its hard to entertain grownups unless they also have kidlets.

I found a smokin deal (i doubt I'm the first to use that pun, lol) on a masterbuilt 30" electric through QVC (around 190 for the black model with the door latch and additional roof vent) and so last week I pulled the trigger. Yesterday while wasting time at sams club - i noticed they had dropped the price of their awe-inspiring Stainless 41 inch model to about the same price that I paid for the little guy (after taxes and shipping). I know I would have kicked myself had I not snagged the last unit ont he pallet - so much to my wife's dismay, I came home with a 2nd unit.

Now I am faced with the decision.

Under most circumstances I would think bigger is better; so I lean toward the larger sams model. However, I want to make sure I am not buying myself into trouble by picking up an enormous unit that I will rarely fill. [For example, we bought a big crockpot that we never fill and as a result, it burns the heck out of our food and really doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t work well unless weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re cooking for an army) Should I expect results like this on the bigger model or does smoker content not really affect the overall performance? Are there other advantages or disadvantages for me to buy one model over the other? I noted that the larger model is no longer listed on masterbuilt's website – will I have trouble getting replacement parts several years from now??

Thanks for the advice, just want to make sure keep get the right product

I don't think you will have the same trouble with a little bit bigger smoker. It might take a little more charcoal to keep the heat up but bigger is better IMHO!!

I have only met one person that has said he wished he had a smaller smoker. Funny thing is he got a smaller one and regretted it. LOL

Go with the bigger. Even if you only need the extra capacity once, it will be nice to have it.

Also, with a bigger smoker the heat recovery will be faster when you add that cold hunk of meat.

Heck.........I would just keep them both anyhow. LOL

Once yall get smokin ya be makin more an more. Ya wan't the bigger one fer sure! I got a nice propane one on the deck, just brought home a tank ta build the bigger one! Good luck.

I just bought That one at Sam's yesterday for 299. There are only 2 of us here. It's a keeper.

I made a fatty last night, Salmon burgers and smoked beans tonight. You can plan ahead and fill it up and maybe not cook for awhile. Freeze some stuff anand go from there. Keep the Sam's , that's a bargain I wish I would have found.

Either keep the bigger one or keep both.........Two would be nice if your planning making sausage of jerky or snack sticks.........I have two little cheifs and its just myself..........

Thanks guys, the consesnsus was overwelming so I decided to keep stainless big-boy. I took a crack at smoking spareribs the other day using a spicy rub, and the 3-2-1 method. I ended up filling the house with smoke (darned covered patio) and i think overcooked the ribs *they were a bit dry and i think a little overly smokey. after a little reading, i learned that fully loading the chip holder was was probably my problem. Despite the bumpy first run, eating my mistakes wasnt all that bad. il get it perfected soon.

thanks again for the votes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky