The best all beef hot-dog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
RIP - Mt Sinai Kosher Hot Dogs and the even better Polish Sausage. Best dogs ever. I have 3/4 of a pack in vaccu-sealed up in super deep freeze. They are awaiting the day when it will be appropriate to cook them again, or I can hire somebody to extract the recipe from one.

As far as grocery store stuff-

I used to take trips to Erie (?) PA and get local kosher all beef hotdogs that were distributed in the area's supermarkets. No way do I remember what brand they were, but they were hands-down the best beef dog I have ever tasted. I used to buy them by the case and bring them back to Virginia, where I lived.

Other than those, running far, far, behind are Hebrew National's all beef dogs. Pretty good stuff for grocery stores.

Small deli type stuff- I have known too many good deli's and dog-makers to be able to say. Wow.

We have a local sausage producer thats makes incredibly delicious franks and coney's, there were others but they've folded up shop over the years. I'd purchase them before any of the mentioned national brands listed. But my son is partial to Hebrew National all beefers so you might find them in our ice box now and then

For store bought, I always liked Nathans and Hebrew national.

I used to live in New Jersey. No dog anywhere compares to a NJ dog bought from some guy cooking them up in the back of a piece of junk cargo van at the park. Most of those guys had over 50 varieties too. Next best is a Sabret dog (dawg) from any pushcart in Manhattan.

Reactions: smokey mo
Nathans got top billing in Cooks Illustrated taste test. Hebrew National got a recommended rating. Boars head came in pretty low as well as Oscar Meyers and Healthy Choice dead last.

We have a local company that makes awesome hot dogs and sausages. Koegels is their name and if you ask somebody from Michigan they will tell you "Koegels is the Best Hot Dog In The World". They make a helluva bratwurst too but you can only get those in 10lb packs. Peace ,Wanbli

Go figure. Something that's good for you (or not as bad as the rest of them) would taste bad. Who'd a thunk it?
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

used to be Bests Kosher hands down, until the Sarah Lee bought the brand, and then shut it down

now I like:
Hebrew National
Vienna Beef

I like the Oscar Meyer Premium franks. Wish I could find franks in casings around here, but haven't found any yet. Seems everybody sells em skinless.

Koegels by a landslide at my house... We prefer the Viennas but the Polish Sausages are pretty darn good too.

Nathans beef = OK but nothing to write home about I don't think.

Those of you (most of you) that can't get Koegels... I feel sorry for you...

When I worked at a dirty little greasy spoon I used to sneak home bags of the vienna beef bun length beef franks. They taste somehow better than the stanadard length vienna beef franks you can find at local supermarkets. But those are rather awesome too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky