Temp differences at different rack positions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seandje

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
The Triad of NC
I was smoking two picnic shoulders on Saturday and noticed something. There seems to be a difference in temperature at different rack positions.

Both shoulders were similar in size, but the top one went to 190 faster than the lower one. The racks were about 12" apart. I'm sure this is common, but I've never noticed it before.

Guess I'll have to keep this in mind for future cooking and adjust my cooking time accordingly.

Any thoughts?

The thing is... there are so many variables once you put the meat in the smoker. The only way to check the difference in rack temp is when it is empty. Everytime you put something in the smoker it changes the way the air circulates so... you could actually fight a never ending battle without knowing what your temp range is without the meat. Another thing.... butts cook generally according to size and weight, but some get done faster than others... and sometimes you'll get one that will never get done. The one getting done first on the top doesn't necessarily mean it was hotter at the top.... although that would stand to reason. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

I'm not sure which smoker you are using, but my GOSM big block is always hottest at the bottom rack, and cooler as the racks are higher. This is based on bottom vents closed to factory settings, and the top vent wide open. I have three calibrated therms on the door, if you look closely, you'll see that they are at different heat levels. This helps when I need different heat levels for whatever I'm smoking. Be aware of the temp differences, and make use of it. Good luck my friend.
a94b0a0e_vbattach22546.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky