Talk me in or out of this...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
I have been considering offering the guy $500 for this fridge. My fridge in the garage has been outgrown. The garage fridge holds beer, mixes extra milk, condiments, leftovers etc. etc. etc. if you know what I mean. We seem to running from the house to the garage for something in the fridge all the time.
We basically use our garage as a extra living space. It is heated in the winter months. It is where we gather for watching sports and partying with friends.
I think if I can get this for $500 it would be a good deal.
http://duluth.craigslist.org/app/1394186477.html

Yay or nay??

Well considering that those type of reach-in refrigerators run between $4000-6000 brand new, $500-$600 for a used one is a great price as long as the unit is working.

To steal part of a line from OJ's trial, "If It Fits Go Git"...

Look at the bright side, if it ever breaks down you have a cabinet for a new smoker, with a few mods to it...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Seems like a fair deal. One thing about it though for that kind of money now days you can buy a pretty good sized brand new fridge with a warranty. The potential cost of repair of this big unit is the only thing that might scare me. My house and garage area is used much the same way and faced with a similar situation a few years ago I chose to move my main fridge to the garage and bought a pretty new one, stainless with ice and water in the door for around $6-700. Just my two cents,that does look like a fair deal though. Good luck!

yep the guy says he bought it used 2 years ago and it runs great. He guarntees it. I know these are darn expensive new like you said.
I just think it might be a little overkill.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I look at it this way 3m- Refrigerators are like smokers, get the biggest you can afford cuz you will eventually run out of room and wish that you had something larger.
biggrin.gif

I agree with Dutch!
I have two extra fridges outside.... one in my pool room (pool table) for a beer fridge and one in my well house for curing meats.
You can never have too many fridges.
biggrin.gif

That's a commercial rig, easy to repair, parts always available, will outlast a home fridge by decades. The $600 is more then fair, if ya can get it fer less great.

If it wasn't so far from me, I'd buy it! There a great unit.

I'd say go for it I've been trying yo find one locally at a decent price for awhile now. That one looks great

Bet you could resell it for at least that if it doesn't work.

Talked to the guy on this fridge today. He is firm on the $600. Guess I can't blame him. He figures it's about 10 years old with about 6 years of use. It was originally used in a residential setting. Halfway house for alcoholics untill he bought it. He needed a NSF fridge for a coffee he house he ran. It was in the halfway house for 5 years and his coffee house lasted less than two.
It has been sitting since. He says once a month he starts it up and it gets to 32 degrees in 7 minutes.
As someone earlier suggested I am wondering about power consumption. I found this http://www.superprod.com/product/ref...46.0-cu.ft..do
which looks like the fridge but it dosen't give specs beyond 120v/60hz and 1/3 horsepower compressor. I am wondering about amperage draw.
The guy was going to check to see if he could find the info on the back somewhere.

I am talking myself into this I think..
icon_neutral.gif

If you can afford it and have the room, jump on it. If you want to make $50 deliver it here, I will honestly purchase it for $650.....

I know your fuel costs will not be covered but I will promise ribs and wildgame meals in exchange. Also, if you purchase a non-resident hunting license, I will show you a good time !!!

I;'m with dutch, fire, and the rest of this group here that is a 4000 dollar unit if it will fit and runs good( I would check it out) I would hand him the cash and run youdon't wanted to be seen on this one.

3montes,

Ok, first of all, it is not manufactured by Superior Products. Superior is a restaurant supply company that slaps their name on just about everything they sell. It is a little tough to tell from the pics but it looks like it might be a Beverage Air unit although I don't remember seeing one with a white interior. Bev Air is a good unit. There should be a data plate inside on the upper left side that will tell who manufactured it.

As Dutch mentioned, those units run in the thousands brand new. Even at $600 it is not a bad deal if you are sure it works. I'd snatch that puppy up if I were you.

Keep in mind that this is a commercial unit & is not whisper quiet like most household refrigerators. The unit pulls about 3 to 5 amps when the compressor is running & usually less than 1 amp when the compressor is off. And yes, I work on those type of units for a living.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: On taking a second look at the pics I don't think it is a Beverage Air unit. It could be a Victory or a Randell. I'd ask a few more questions.

Hey 3M,

1 HP is equivalent to 746 watts, so your 1/3 HP is equal to 248 watts or 2.07 Amps at 120V line voltage. Since you live on the beautiful shores of Lake Superior, I took the liberty of choosing the electrical rate for Michigan since it was the highest of the bordering states from the following website http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electri...able5_6_a.html

At 12.62 cents per kilowatt hour for residential rates, I calculate that your fridge described above will cost you exactly $274.17 / year if it ran continuously at peak rating of 1/3 HP (which it won't). So, based on that, you can now choose a duty cycle for said fridge (40%, 60%, 54.75%) and easily calculate your annual energy expenditure!

I am not in the market for a fridge, (Mrs. Engineer is in the market for a new stainless kitchen fridge with french doors and bottom drawer freezer, however) but it seems like a decent price on a large unit. I would heavily consider it!

YOU BETTER BUY IT BEFORE I DO... I'm just lookin for an excuse to put my canoe in the Boundary Waters!!!!!

Looks like a good deal. Not a bad price. And if it does die on you down the road it will make one hell of a smoker.............

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky