Switching to Bradley from Masterbuilt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travisb

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Sugarhouse, Utah
A couple months ago, I got the 30" MES with the viewing window. I used it for around a month and didn't mind it but then the heating element went out. Luckily I got it at Cabelas and they were really good about it and exchanged it for me. I got the new one home and opened it and the bottom was dented in. So I took that one back and now they're on 10 week backorder.

I'm thinking about switching to the Bradley smoker since it seems like it will meet my needs nicely,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jim-Beam-..._sku=10910336&sourceid=1500000000000003260350

Any thoughts or big drawbacks to this?

A few years ago, I was looking at the Bradley.  The reason why I chose not to commit to it was mainly due to those smoking chips.  Using those chips every 20 minutes will become expensive. And, in this wacky world, what if Bradley went under and stopped making those chips? 

With the MES (and I'm really not a fan of the MES), most people use the AMNPS filled with pellets.  Even if you don't buy pellets from our buddy here, you can find pellets anywhere.

I can't think of any other reason.

A couple months ago, I got the 30" MES with the viewing window. I used it for around a month and didn't mind it but then the heating element went out. Luckily I got it at Cabelas and they were really good about it and exchanged it for me. I got the new one home and opened it and the bottom was dented in. So I took that one back and now they're on 10 week backorder.

I'm thinking about switching to the Bradley smoker since it seems like it will meet my needs nicely,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Jim-Beam-..._sku=10910336&sourceid=1500000000000003260350

Any thoughts or big drawbacks to this?
I had MES Junk, went thru a few of them. (years ago)

Have been with Bradley since 2005 and have had no problems.

The JB 4 rack digital is the same as the 4 rack non JB, Your just getting a decal on the door.

I had MES Junk, went thru a few of them. (years ago)

Have been with Bradley since 2005 and have had no problems.

The JB 4 rack digital is the same as the 4 rack non JB, Your just getting a decal on the door.
Hey Nepas, tell us how you really feel about MES.  lol 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I think with MES, you'll either love it or hate it.

Folks brag about the superior customer service at MES--that's because they're aware of the flaws with their product.  It's easier for them to just send new products then deny the existence of problems.  I'm not saying you can't get good que from MES but you're always taking a chance with it.  Just Google MES problems, you'll be shocked. 

By the way, I have two MES smokers.  For my original, I was having so many problems with it and MES kept sending me replacement parts.  Finally, they sent me another, brand spanking new smoker. 

I just haven't heard about the same problems with Bradley.

Hey Nepas, tell us how you really feel about MES.  lol 
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I think with MES, you'll either love it or hate it.

Folks brag about the superior customer service at MES--that's because they're aware of the flaws with their product.  It's easier for them to just send new products then deny the existence of problems.  I'm not saying you can't get good que from MES but you're always taking a chance with it.  Just Google MES problems, you'll be shocked. 

By the way, I have two MES smokers.  For my original, I was having so many problems with it and MES kept sending me replacement parts.  Finally, they sent me another, brand spanking new smoker. 

I just haven't heard about the same problems with Bradley.
icon_eek.gif

That wouldnt be right for all the loyal MES members.

I use my AMZNPS in my Bradley, sometimes when im lazy i use the Bradley pucks.

You may wish to take a look at the Smokin-it Model #2. Similar price and size and the guys that have them give good reviews. My MES40 20070311 is a year old, I love it...JJ

I have a Digital Bradley Smoker (DBS) 4 rack. I looked at the MES also and choose the DBS because of the smoke generator and digital controls. Smoke pucks cost me 19.95 for 40. The idea of the pucks is that they are only left to burn 20 min the another advances and pushes the expired puck into a bowl of water. So 3 pucks an hour is $1.50 per. I don't mind the cost as usually I only smoke between 2-3 hrs at a time and only once  or so a week. The reason the pucks only burn for 20 min is Bradley feels that any flavor that is to be  had had been smoked away in 20 min.and the rest is sharp resins, not needed for smoking, but they do burn almost all away in 20 min. BDS come with a 500 watt heating element which is little underpowered in some cold or windy outdoor cases. A lot of Bradley non digital owners are adding a second 500 w element but must also use a single or dual probe PID controller. The dual element is for faster heat recovery time and the PID controller can control a very tight heat schedule, they say within 2 degrees.and also controll the smoke generator . THe PID controll is now the controll center for the smoker, but very efficient.

My smoker is in my garage with a range vent over it so I have no worries about very cold and wind. I  mostly smoke chicken, turkey ,hams, chops etc, venison,sausage ,cheese, nuts and am quite pleased with the results. I like setting the smoking time and oven time and temp and not having to go back every hour to check.

If you were to do the mods then digital is of little value. But I say if you find one on sale for $300 then you could spend the $200 needed to make the mods and still have one at the reg price. Myself I don't see at this piont me making any mods to mine I am quite happy with it and the little it costs me for the pucks to me is worth it and if cost became a problem you can use the AMZNPS pan and chips . I decided on the BDS because of availability, customer service and the smoke generator

Browse around the Bradley web sites forum, lot of stuff in there

Took my MES back to Sam's and I'm currently without a smoker while I wait for things to get sorted out. I went to Cabela's and most of the smoking area was light of merchandise. The sales lady said in the first few weeks of Feb, they should be getting back in stock. Having said that, I am seriously starting to consider the Digital Bradley. While they seem to cost more, the quality seems better to me. My only reservation is that I really liked the size of the MES 40. I did 8 racks of ribs in it and not sure I could do the same in the Bradley. Also, the 1200 watt heating element comes in handy when it is 3 degrees in Milwaukee! Are there other electric smokers about the same size as the MES 40 with a better build that don't cost a fortune? Don't mind paying a bit more, but not 3 or 4 times more.

You may want to look into the Smokin-it line of smokers. No digital but well built and well priced.  Also, I've not seen anything negative written about them.  Good reviews here and on Amazon.

Suya

I would do some research onthe DBS before you buy. It has a 500 watt heating element which my be a little weak if you smoke outdoors in cold or wind.

The answer is to install a second 500 watt element and add a PID controller. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

Go to this site and check out the posts on Bradley http://www.susanminor.org/

or the bradley site  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/?gclid=CLqBn9ygkLUCFY1DMgod01MAWA

If you go with a single probe PID controller the digital portion for the heat on the Bradley is not used but the digital portin for the smoke generator is

Do some homework before you buy, if you have various makes available to you take a close look at them all. It seems they all have a fault or two

I have used my PID with my Bradley 6 rack for years with no issues.

The Bradley digital smoke generator times and cycles the pucks and w/o a PID can try to control the element temp but its not very good at it. The heat on the end of the puck slide is the same temp and not controllable. The element cord from the back of the Bradley plugs into the Out side on back of the PID. The PID is then programmed with heat and time tac tile buttons 1 thru 6. It does have a meat prob which is garbage and the ambient temp probe which is fairly close.

Last edited:
I have a Bradley 4 rack one of the originals before they had the digital controlled ones.  Like Nepas I have had it for years with no troubles. I put together a pid controller and it really does the job.  It does have some trouble when getting up to temp with a load in the winter. But I have been very happy with it.

Mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky