Surf and Turf, Backstrap and Crab Cakes on the Griddle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Teal101

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
With my fiancee coming home from six days away at work I decided to cook up a little surf and turf! Backstrap is from a Mule Deer she shot the other year, crab cakes were made with some frozen Dungeness Crab we had in the freezer. Paired with some grilled Leeks and an ear of Corn we split. Backstrap was rinsed and dried to remove as much blood as possible, it really helps with the flavor imo. Sprinkled lightly with Traeger Saskatchewan on both sides. Crab cakes were prepared in a standard maryland style with fresh Parsley, Celery, Egg, Old Bay, Mayo, and Panko. Crab cakes were prepared ahead of time and let set in the fridge to help hold shape. Leeks were trimmed and lightly salted and peppered with olive oil. Corn was peeled to remove the silk then had the husk pulled back up. Corn on first as it takes the longest, on the Weber around medium heat until starting to get cooked them pull the husk back to get some char. Leeks were done 3 minutes each side. Backstrap and crab cakes were put on at the same time. Put a medium sized pat of Kerrygold down on the griddle and let it start to brown then added the steaks and cakes. Roughly 3 minutes per side for the steaks, 4-5 minutes for the cakes. Finished with a side of homemade tartar sauce. Very good, some tweaking needed on the cakes for better flavor imo, but happy overall.
20200718_193723.jpg
20200718_194133.jpg
20200718_194345.jpg
20200718_195338.jpg

Attachments

• 20200718_193320.jpg
    20200718_193320.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 3
Looks really good! Not your run of them mill dinner by any means! Nice job.
Thanks! With the whole virus deal, grocery store shortages, and required masks I've taken to digging in the freezer for more meals, that and it saves some money! That and I like to experiment haha!
Looks great!
Thanks!
Did it up right.
Thanks!
Some good looking supper you had! I add a few dashes of hot sauce to my crab cakes. Adds a nice extra level of flavor
Thanks bud. Yeah it could have used some hot sauce, good call. The tartar needed a little tweaking too. Not sure I want to shell two more whole dungeness anytime soon though to experiment!

Reactions: TNJAKE
That all looks good! Never thought of grilling leeks, have to give that a try...we love anything onion.

Ryan

Reactions: Teal101
Looks great, seems like your fiance is a lucky woman. :)

I'm not familiar with venison - what is "backstrap" and do you know why it's called that?

I've got a good crab cake recipe (we like it, anyway). :) I haven't made it in quite a while I'm just realizing. Have to dig it out and take a run at it. Nothing like homemade crab cakes and tartar sauce.

Reactions: Teal101

I'm not familiar with venison - what is "backstrap" and do you know why it's called that?

I've got a good crab cake recipe (we like it, anyway). :) I haven't made it in quite a while I'm just realizing. Have to dig it out and take a run at it. Nothing like homemade crab cakes and tartar sauce.
Deer tenderloin

Reactions: Teal101 and Danabw
All looks fantastic!! I really like the addition of the grilled leeks. We’d love those
First time trying them, wont be the last! They were delicious. Thanks.
Superb!!! Like!
Thank you!

Thank you! We're both lucky haha! Like said above it is the Ribeye on a deer, very tender and delicious.
Definitely a good looking meal!
Nicely done!
Al
Appreciate it, thanks!
Good looking meal! great way to welcome her home from work.
Yeah she was happy with it haha, thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky