Summer sausage casing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Folsom, La.
I looked in some of the older threads and couldn't find an answer. Is there a distinct difference....taste-texture?...... in summer sausage made with cloth casing as opposed to the fibrous ones?  

UJ, hopefully some of our sausage gurus can answer that question. I have always used fibrous casings with great success.

Not sure why some of the guys didn't respond---I will give it a try.

I have experimented numerous times with cloth bags, using various thread counts ( sewed my own bags ) never tried any commercial bags.

They all seemed to take smoke very well, but could easily dry to quick and even case harden if the humidity was to low. This could lead to a big stall---so I usually had to use a crutch (foil).

The flavor was good---the texture could be a little dry---but that depends on how you finish it off.

My opinion----the fibrous casing are just so much easier to use----but the cloth looks real neat.

Blaise

There are a few types of SS casings. Most are non edible and will need to be peeled from the meat.

Synthetic

Fibrous

Cloth

Non edible collagen

High barrier casings

(there is protein lined collagen thats used for dry cure)

With natural it can be either edible or non.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky