Suggestions for medium size offset smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I pulled the trigger and picked up the Oklahoma Joe's Highland. I made a few cheap modifications recommended by seasoned youtubers. I wanted to get a few smokes in before I gave my opinion.

First off, I think the smoker is pretty solid. I added some high heat silicon to seal the gaps where I bolted the firebox together with the smoke chamber. I also made a charcoal box with stretched sheet metal. I also added a 2nd thermometer in the pre-drilled hole on the lid. I also turned the coal grate side-ways to buy 2 more inches of clearance for better oxygen.

During the seasoning process, the paint did melt off the bottom of the fire box. Youtubers told me to expect this. Not a big deal for me.

I did 2 smokes. Chicken and turkey. Temperature control wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Add a small log ever hour, and that thing stays fueled. Had to re-load the coals once during the 4 hour turkey smoke. Fire burned clean (for the most part).

The food came out excellent. In my opinion, the turkey was the best I've ever had. A clean wood burn yields WAY better flavor than my old MES. I brought the turkey into work and let my fellow Coastguardsmen destroy it. Entire 13lb turkey gone during a shift. That's how you know the food is good!

I'm pretty satisfied for a cheaper offset smoker. I anticipate many years of happy bbq fans with this smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky