starting my first build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdamet

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
NE kansas
Just bought a 4' by 30" tank. Im wanting to go with 2 doors that are 20" square. What are your thoughts? Double doors or single and why?

Personally I would do 1 door. If you had a 60-80" tank then I would do 2 doors.

Thanks for the response Bmudd. Is there a reason for one door or is it personal preference? I like the look of a double door and had planned on making the front door overlap the second so the option of having enough room to get a whole hog in is there.

Oh .. !!!!     A French Door Smoker....   That's cool.....  Never seen one....   The hinges may induce some serious deep thought....   It's very possible to do with some creative thinking and engineering....    Dave

The guy that I bought the 2 tanks from has a few competition smokers and the idea came from his. I am sure there are plenty of others out there that have them, I have never seen one. I just think they look better than one big door. I would think that it would help with heat loss too. I may be wrong or it may not make that big of a difference. But, the reason for my question is that I am new to fabricating smokers. I dont think that there would be a design flaw, but, I am new.

jd,.... [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  But, the reason for my question is that I am new to fabricating smokers. I dont think that there would be a design flaw,[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Hey, a door is a door.... Form follows function...  If you can get it sealed and it works well.... You'll have a great smoker..  [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]$100 for an Ugly Drum Smoker[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]$15,000 for a comp trailer......[/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]They both do the same thing......  [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Personal preference and enjoyment is what it is all about....  What ever you want to build, the great membership on this forum will help you make the best smoker possible....   Ask questions, take pics, share your ideas and start to build after all your questions have been answered...  There have been some great smokers built by the members here.... Championship stuff...  [/color]

[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Dave[/color]

Thanks Dave. I think I am going to scrap the "french" doors though. May not be the best idea with the doors swinging out. I will probably go with 2 doors that swing up instead of out. I will still make one that overlaps the other though. I want to be able to stick a whole hog in. I have recently taken up hog hunting and wont want to have to cut them all up to smoke when we have parties.

Next question. This build is out of an old diesel tank. I am worried about the doors deforming with the heat from welding on the flanges. Should I worry about this? It is rather thin metal.

Drill holes in the metal strapping about 4" apart.....  set the strap on the door and weld each end first... then the middle.... then the other holes...   offset the holes to one side when drilling....  tack the strap in the holes.... this is called "blind welding".... little tacks should not warp the door....   Be sure to sand or grind the area where welding first....  Dave

Ok, so cut the doors out, bend strapping, drill holes and tack starting from outside in. Good to know. I guess I should have bought that spot welder for $25 at the last auction I went to. Sure would have come in handy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky