soaking chips in coffee?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sababill

Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
NC
I was watching food network over the weekend and saw a place in the northeast that was famous for thier smoked pork, she said she soaks chips in one bottle of beer and 1 pot of strong coffee overnight. I was wondering if anyone had tried this and if it would work for wood chunks as well. Also want to give a big thanks to everyone on here as a realitive newbie I have produced some great Q, spare ribs, brisket, and wings thanks to all of your great input!!!

I've used wine to pre-soak my chips and chunks, and it does impart some flavor to the meat.  Beer is as common as anything (as in beer-butt chickens, roasting pans and "water" pans).  I've never heard of coffee-soaked chips, but WTHeck?  It might be a fantastic mix.  The best way to know is to do a trial run on something small and see how you like it.  The only one you have to please is yourself (unless, of course, you're married
wife.gif
). 
biggrin.gif

Extending the thought: why not use the grounds over the top of the chunks/coals?  Anybody tried this?

As a home coffee roaster, I would not use the grounds. Have you ever smelled burning coffee? The pot of coffee along with beer sounds ok but I never soaked the chips I used so I dont know how that would work. Like James said - give it a try it must be OK if the restaruant is doing it with some success.  

As a home coffee roaster, I would not use the grounds. Have you ever smelled burning coffee? The pot of coffee along with beer sounds ok but I never soaked the chips I used so I dont know how that would work. Like James said - give it a try it must be OK if the restaruant is doing it with some success.  
Thanks, Scar.  This post got me to wondering...  and I knew someone would have the answer.  Now we know: coffee=good, coffee grounds = bad.

Not sure about in the fire or chips.  For the sauce lovers out there, strong and I mean strong coffee makes a pretty good ingredient in a sauce.  Check out Blackjack Barbque sauce. 

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks all for the input, I think I will wait till the local grocery puts butts on sale (2 or 3 times a year we can get them for .99 a lb) and give it a shot I will let ya'll know how it comes out. Gonna do a butt for the 4th but have people coming over not the time to try out new recipes,lol. Thanks again!

I was watching Triple D yesterday and one of the guys featured was smoking salmon fillets. When he put them out on the smoker he tossed in chunks of wood and then put a double handful of whole coffee beans on top of the chips. Apparently it imparted a great flavor to the fish, if so I could see it working for beet, or pork as well...

Hell I might try it myself one of these days once I finish moving and paint my smoker...

Last edited:
I almost always use a rub with coffee for pork chops when I grill them. Tastes great, it's a staple in my BBQ sauce as well!
This got me thinking as well, has anyone tried filling the water pan with coffee?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky