Chicken barley with a twist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Earlier this year as the temperatures dipped, soups was a hot topic to warm the winter chills.
I made a couple batches of chicken barley soup and my wife really liked it.

She decided to make a batch tonight as it chilly today and a bit cooler for the next couple of days.
Well, what she thought was chicken stock was actually beef stock. Too late to stop now as it was already in the pot.
I have to admit, it was really tasty.
Here's the pot shot after we had a couple of bowls as seen by the tomato ring.
serving.jpg

Cooling in the storage bowl after the barley took in more liquid.
cooling.jpg

Repeat?
Yes, but not with chicken.
Next time we'll make it with beef (stock and meat), but keep the Tex-Mex flavor profile.

Thanks for looking.

I remember when I was young my grandpap would cook off venison necks and make barley soup. I loved it but had to watch for the occasional bone. Lol

Reactions: Fueling Around
That looks fantastic . I've started added the quick barley to the homemade soup I make .
The back of the Quaker quick barley box has a chicken and barley chili recipe that's tomato based .
I bet that's fantastic just as she made it . Be a great use for leftover chicken .
Looks really good . Be a good start to tortilla soup too .

The beef stock added a "heartiness" that isn't there with chicken based soups.
I've used pork stock with chicken, but never beef.
The back of the Quaker quick barley box has a chicken and barley chili recipe that's tomato based .
The back of the box is what started the adventure. Found a source for regular barley that does take longer to cook, but I like the results over the quick.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great John, my wife makes a beef barley soup a couple of times during the winter months and it really hits the spot.

Point for sure
Chris

Good looking pot of soup!

Just wondering what a chilly day is to a northerner living in Florida! Been really nice here in Iowa. You can keep the soup pics coming!

Ryan

• Haha
Good looking pot of soup!

Just wondering what a chilly day is to a northerner living in Florida! Been really nice here in Iowa. You can keep the soup pics coming!

Ryan
Been down in the 40's and 50's the last couple of nights. We acclimated quickly.
Stopped at grocery store and got a jug of milk. First time I haven't had to wipe off the sweat before putting in the fridge.

Earlier this year as the temperatures dipped, soups was a hot topic to warm the winter chills.
I made a couple batches of chicken barley soup and my wife really liked it.

She decided to make a batch tonight as it chilly today and a bit cooler for the next couple of days.
Well, what she thought was chicken stock was actually beef stock. Too late to stop now as it was already in the pot.
I have to admit, it was really tasty.
Here's the pot shot after we had a couple of bowls as seen by the tomato ring.
View attachment 682737

Cooling in the storage bowl after the barley took in more liquid.
View attachment 682738

Repeat?
Yes, but not with chicken.
Next time we'll make it with beef (stock and meat), but keep the Tex-Mex flavor profile.

Thanks for looking.
I do like barley soup!

Just an "Idea" for the repeat.....Smoked pulled chuck in vs ground beef! I would have my whole arm around the serving bowl mumbling "mine..... alllll minnnnnne"

We usually had beef roast on sunday. Then on tuesday we would have beef and barley soup (with lots of carrots).

Love your soup, and yes it is soup weather up here also now.
Cold with snow on the ground. Brrrrrr

But now Monday calling for 13C ( 55.4 F ) and heavy rains and wind
Here comes some flooding with the frozen ground and snow around the houses

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky