So tired of sexism.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I haven't been part of the smoking world for very long, and I just wanted to say to you all, YOU ALL ROCK!

I've been dealing with a bunch of losers in my local stores, all of them either ignoring me completely, or assuming that I'm shopping for my husband. Always asking me "What does your husband think?" "What preference does your husband have?" "What is he smoking this weekend?" and so forth.

I've got NONE of that here, and I really appreciate it! Thank you for accepting me as one of your own :)

Last edited:
My favorite part of smoking meat is in the eating. I'd love it if my wife took an interest in it, so I could just sit around and drink beer while she did all the work. To give you an idea of the lengths I will go to avoid cooking of any kind, I built a 280 sq. ft. cookhouse just so I wouldn't have to fry fish (A popular pastime in the south is for family and friends to get together on weekends and fry fish, hushpuppies, squash and fries. Also throw in some grits and potato salad).

Yup, glad to have you here and smoking stuff. We don't care what gender people are, we just like helping others and seeing pics of food.

I think I would stay away from them stores and find a butcher that appreciates your business

Yup, glad to have you here and smoking stuff. We don't care what gender people are, we just like helping others and seeing pics of food.

I think I would stay away from them stores and find a butcher that appreciates your business

Thanks!

Actually, my butcher is pretty awesome. And I think he understands where I’m coming from, because he’s just 17 years old. (Family run shop, obviously). I first connected with him on thier facebook page that he runs, and where i place my orders.

He gets the same discrimination because he is just a kid in some peoples eyes. But! Man does he know his stuff! He knows that I’m learning the ropes, knows what to reccomend, isnt afraid to tell me that a different cut would be better for what I’m doing, and his knife skills are amazing to watch.

All of my issues have actually been in supply stores. Buying coal or wood or acessories. However, i did find a good store where no one has ever mafe me feel like i dont belong. And for that, its worth yhe 1 hour round trip to get what i need. :)

I always defer to my wife when I am grilling or smoking something. Lord knows I don't have a clue what I'm doing, all I know how to do is start fires.

Glad you are enjoying the smoking and keep on posting for guys like me to learn from.

But seriously folks, as they used to say in vaudeville, I really have no idea what the gender is of other members unless they bring it up.

I just know that I've got great, friendly advice on here.

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
PoukieBear, you're a special person, and it breaks my heart you have to put up with those ancient attitudes. Pork butts can't tell time, or who's light'n the fire, nor do they care. Some butts haven't learned that lesson.

I haven't been part of the smoking world for very long, and I just wanted to say to you all, YOU ALL ROCK!

I've been dealing with a bunch of losers in my local stores, all of them either ignoring me completely, or assuming that I'm shopping for my husband. Always asking me "What does your husband think?" "What preference does your husband have?" "What is he smoking this weekend?" and so forth.

I've got NONE of that here, and I really appreciate it! Thank you for accepting me as one of your own :)

Glad you’re here!

Don't let them folks get to ya. You keep doing your thing, we are happy ya joined us here at SMF.

Hi PB so what's your smoker? Or have you already described that in another thread?

That's really sweet that you have a close connection to a butcher. Nothing like that here for me. Do you have a grinder, have you done anything like sausage? You might be able to get scraps from him cheap and have some fun.

Throw that crap right back at'em, laugh in their faces and tell them the way it is!
"I'm the Pit Master in the house and I'll tell'ya what I'm thinking, have or am cooking".
"I know I can out smoke you, ya chipmunk d!cked loser, and that's for sure!"

I don't care who or what you are, as long as you can throw down some good food, or are trying to learn... You're good to go in my book.

PoukieBear,
Unfortunately, sexism is alive and well in hardware stores and such.
You made the right decision to take your business to the place that has worked to earn you as a customer. Those other places don't deserve your business.
No matter what, there are over 110,000 members here on SMF who will have your back.

Reactions: PoukieBear
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky