So Fla checking in.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BerettaRacer

Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Ft Lauderdale
So Fla checking in. Semi retired marine engineer.

Started dabbling in the smoking arts 6-8 mos ago with a smoker box on a small Weber gas grill. Kinda liked the results so a couple of weeks ago picked up a MasterBuilt 330G vertical. Living in a So Fla rental, I have to be able to roll it in/out of garage for use, so that had large factor in my smoker choice. So far have modified the unit by shortening the legs by 5" and hard mounting the entire unit and bottle on a Harbor Freight roller dolly with large wheels, adding a side table with hanging tool rack, and gasket-ed the doors. One of the things I disliked was the factory temp sensor probe stuck out directly into the middle of the chamber, very much limiting the size of items to be cooked, could not even do a stand up beer can chicken. Made an aluminum bracket and remounted the probe across the back and also mounted the probe for a new ThermoPro remote temp reader. I think I'll be doing the welding blanked insulation soon, and finding a way to incorporate my original Weber to the rolling "War Wagon" soon too.
Initial smokes had some mixed results. Some 2 1/2" prime rib steaks were awesome, (1 1/2-2 hrs smoke with reverse sear on grill) marinated Chix drumsticks were real good, and an 8lb pork shoulder was great, but I overcooked my first shot at spare ribs using the 3-2-1 method (and they were to sweet to boot). Because of the small shelf space on a vertical, I cut each rack in half and was moving them around to try and balance the cook, didn't work. Try something different next time.
Still trying to get good consistent smoke. Factory pan not vary good, and smoke varies with flame height, smoker box on burner diffuser gave lots of smoke but burned out in 15-20 min and needed constant reloading.
Enough intro for now.

Last edited:
Welcome from Indiana!
My first smoker was an MB gasser like yours and I had some issues as well.
The racks weren't big enough like you said, but my biggest issue was not being able to keep lower
temps without the flame blowing out with a little wind. I tried some things...
IMG_0941.JPG
I got used to cracking the door open a little just to keep the temps down.
That leads me to the 3-2-1 method for ribs. That's basically just a guideline and assumes a
pit temp of 225, which I could never do (and still can't in my offset). I suspect that's why your ribs were overcooked. Some folks use an additional needle valve to keep the flame low, but there is still the wind factor.
Try a small cast iron skillet that will sit on top of your chip pan. The chips will last a a little longer, but 20 minutes between adding chips was about normal for me as well.
Not sure you need a welding blanket in So Fla....
I still use mine for cold and warm smoking with a mailbox setup and mounting wheels on the legs
was the handiest "mod" I've ever done.
That's just my 2 cents and others may disagree.
Keep playing with it. You'll get it down. You've already made some good chow!

Dan

NICE! Yeah I live 8 miles from the Bird. Love the Cottonwoods, this year was cut short tho. huge bummer. Web cams are still live - the mtns are just beggin to be riden!

NICE! Yeah I live 8 miles from the Bird. Love the Cottonwoods, this year was cut short tho. huge bummer. Web cams are still live - the mtns are just beggin to be riden!
The bowl under Cloud 9 is good with some pow, esp if the traverse to Min Basin is backed up.
I usually split my time across all four, Alta/'Bird/Solly/Bri, gives me some variety. Done the whole P City/Canyons in the past too, but become to "family" oriented, and now that Vail bought it I won't waste my time. At least one day each trip I'll make the run up to Snowbasin too, bring the skinny skis and rip the groomers, lol.

The bowl under Cloud 9 is good with some pow, esp if the traverse to Min Basin is backed up.
I usually split my time across all four, Alta/'Bird/Solly/Bri, gives me some variety. Done the whole P City/Canyons in the past too, but become to "family" oriented, and now that Vail bought it I won't waste my time. At least one day each trip I'll make the run up to Snowbasin too, bring the skinny skis and rip the groomers, lol.
You know where its at! just dont tell anyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky