Snack Sticks With My Kids

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Dec 29, 2009
Savage, MN
My son was bugging me to make snack sticks, so I decided to make some on Friday

I bought 50# of ground pork from the meat locker, and use some for Italian Sausage and Breakfast Sausage this summer.  I figured it was a good time to use the rest.  I also save the pork trim and fat from ribs and making BBB, so we had plenty of pork.  I got 10# of venison from a friend, and supplemented the rest with 90/10 ground beef and 80/20 ground chuck from SAMS.

Last year, we made a mess in my wife's kitchen, and she wasn't very happy with the mess

This year, we set up in the garage, and she was much happier!

Friday, we ground the venison and pork trim, mixed and stuffed casings and smoked my 1st batch.

Seasonings were premixed from a local supplier & added to 1 cups of water

We like the "Tang", so ECA was added

Used 21mm casings and my new 7# Weston Stuffer from Gander Mountain

Snack sticks were dried for an hour, smoked for 3 hours with an AMNPS & Pitmaster's Choice Pellets and finished in my MES 40

We did (5) 8 lb. batches of snack sticks.  Seasonings were measured out for 10# of meat, but we like a little stronger flavor, so we only use 8# of meat and fat.

Slim Jims - Venison+ Beef Fat/Beef/Ground Pork w/ Cheddar Cheese & ECA

Pepperoni - Ground Beef/Ground Pork w/ECA

Jalepeno - Ground Beef/Ground Pork w/Cheddar and ECA

Willies - Ground Chuck/Ground Beef/Ground Pork w/ Pepper Jack Cheese & ECA

Salami - Ground Pork w/ECA

I started with about 43 pounds of meat and cheese.  After smoking, the finished snack sticks weighed about 30 pounds

I tried to adhere to 80% meat and 20% fat.  Since venison is so lean, extra beef fat was added to bring it up to 80/20.

All the snack sticks turned out good, but surprisingly, our favorite was the Salami Snack Sticks, made with 100% Ground Pork.  These tasted very much like the "Hard Salami" from the deli.

ECA was added to every batch.  We really like the "Tang" it gives the sticks

Rather then post 5 different threads, I condensed my batches into one thread.

ENJOY!

Todd

My sons Drew and Brady are helping me make snack sticks

If you look at the legs of my table, you'll notice PVC pipe.

I added 12" to each leg of my table, to raise it to 36".  This is a perfect working height

Seasonings look lumpy, because they were previously vac sealed

Slim Jim Seasoning, Cure 31 and ECA                                   Pepperoni Seasoning, Cure #1 & Sodium Erythorbate

Salami Seasoning & Cure #1                                                 Willies Seasoning, Cure #1, ECA & Sodium Erythorbate

1st batch mixed and ready t stuff into 21mm casings

Seasonings were added to water and then mixed into the ground meat

The mix was ground thru a 3/16" plate

Cheese and ECA was added and all was mixed well before stuffing

Do Not mix ECA in before your 2nd grind!!!

My 7# stuffer held a little over 5# of meat

21mm collagen casings on a 10mm stuffing tube

Stuffed and ready to rest before smoking

Into the smoker for 1 hour at 130° w/no smoke, 3 hours of smoke and then finished at 155°

It was 29° outside, so no need for an ice water bath.  I just let them hang in the cold!

Inside, hanging and waiting for the snack sticks to bloom

I turned off the heat in the garage, and the temp dropped to 45° for an overnight rest, before slicing and vac packing

Ready to slice                                                                      5" sticks + ends and pieces , ready to vac seal

Jackson is waiting for me to drop something!!

Vac sealing with my trusty Tilia FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer      48 packages all sealed up

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
Thanks to you and Nepas for all the help!!!

Really nice Todd - I did the same thing with my tables, I had a bunch of elk to process and it kills my back to be bent over.

Looks like you had a great time with your boys and dog.

Looks great. 
icon14.gif

John - Montana

Cool Todd. Doing it with the kids makes it so much better.

Nice looking snack sticks Todd...... Awesome the boys wanting to help dad make some sticks......
icon14.gif

Very nice. Better yet you get your kids to help with sausage making

points.gif

Looks great Todd.  One thing to point out is that while you can reduce the meat in the mixture for a stronger taste, when using Cures such as Cure #1 you mentioned that has to be measured for the actual amount of meat used.  To have a stronger cure like the spices can run the risk of nitrate poisoning.  Todd, I'm sure you took this into account, but as many (including me) use these for ideas I thought it should be noted on the thread.  Great job Todd.

Nice Job TJ and it is amazing how fast the job goes with 4 extra eager hands in the mix. Very cool...JJ

Nice looking sticks Todd!

Ikrus, sodium erythorbate is a cure accelerant. It allows you to mix, stuff, and smoke in one shot if that is what you want to do.

THANKS GUYS!!
What's the sodium erthrobate for?
Joel is correct....Sodium Erythorbate is a cure excellerator.  Some pre-mixes already contain it, so you need to READ the ingredients carefully.  A little goes a long way!
Looks great Todd.  One thing to point out is that while you can reduce the meat in the mixture for a stronger taste, when using Cures such as Cure #1 you mentioned that has to be measured for the actual amount of meat used.  To have a stronger cure like the spices can run the risk of nitrate poisoning.  Todd, I'm sure you took this into account, but as many (including me) use these for ideas I thought it should be noted on the thread.  Great job Todd.
Good Call!!!

Cure was measured for the amount of meat used, NOT the meat called for in the recipe.  In other words, I cut the meat back to 8 lbs. from 10 lbs. for a stronger flavor, but the cure was measured for only 8 lbs.

Best of all was the performance of my new Westons 7# Stuffer, I recently purchased on sale at Gander Mountain.

This was the 1st time I used ECA, and we all really liked the "Tang" taste in the snack sticks.  Follow the instructions very carefully, and add, just before stuffing.  Do Not add ECA to the meat, and grind!!!

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky